Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Microphone problem with Pulse Audio

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Beans
    157
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Microphone problem with Pulse Audio

    Some time ago I could not get the microphone working. So I did some looking around in these forums and installed Pulse Audio.

    I found a master control screen (I'm nearly sure in Pulse Audio) that had about a dozen vertical bars controlling all aspects of my audio. At lot were disabled, so I enabled everything. It worked, except that the microphone was always on.

    I suffered this for some months but my wife doesn't like it, so now I want to fix it so that the microphone only works when I have a use for it, which is normally for Skype.

    But I cannot find the master control screen! How do I find it?

    Your help appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    /run/shm
    Beans
    825
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Microphone problem with Pulse Audio

    I am guessing this master control screen you are referring to is alsamixer.
    Open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) then type in this
    Code:
    alsamixer
    Use the arrow keys to modify the volume and select which output/input you want to modify. To switch between devices, press F6. To exit, press Escape.

    Also, what do you mean by the microphone always being on? You mean it's constantly looped back?
    Last edited by Lisiano; October 21st, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    el_GR
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Microphone problem with Pulse Audio

    Hi ,

    as an addition to Lisiano's advice

    do not forget to Unmute any channel related to "Mic" or "Internal Mic" . You can Unmute by pressing [M] key in your keyboard. Muted channels appeared with this symbol [MM].

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Beans
    157
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Microphone problem with Pulse Audio

    Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    Hi ,

    as an addition to Lisiano's advice

    do not forget to Unmute any channel related to "Mic" or "Internal Mic" . You can Unmute by pressing [M] key in your keyboard. Muted channels appeared with this symbol [MM].

    Thanks
    Thanks NikTh

    I tried the mute command in the Pulse Audio box. I muted both front and back micro inputs, but no change, and I still get the active micro! But of course, this could be due to me installing the Alsamixer, which I did 30 mins ago! See previous post.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Beans
    157
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Microphone problem with Pulse Audio

    Quote Originally Posted by hans12345 View Post
    Thanks NikTh

    I tried the mute command in the Pulse Audio box. I muted both front and back micro inputs, but no change, and I still get the active micro! But of course, this could be due to me installing the Alsamixer, which I did 30 mins ago! See previous post.
    I just tried the obvious next step and uninstalled the Alsamixer, but still the muting of all the inputs (front, rear, line) does not stop the micro being active.

    Any ideas?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    /run/shm
    Beans
    825
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Microphone problem with Pulse Audio

    So it is constantly looping back. Could you please do the following, open a Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type in
    Code:
    pactl list > ~/pactl.list
    gedit ~/pactl.list
    You will see gedit open up, please copy paste everything in that file (Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C) here.
    Also please paste here the contents of the following files
    Code:
    gedit /etc/pulse/*
    Please use [code]these tags[/code] while pasting the contents here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Luxembourg
    Beans
    157
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Microphone problem with Pulse Audio

    Quote Originally Posted by Lisiano View Post
    I am guessing this master control screen you are referring to is alsamixer.
    Open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) then type in this
    Code:
    alsamixer
    Use the arrow keys to modify the volume and select which output/input you want to modify. To switch between devices, press F6. To exit, press Escape.

    Also, what do you mean by the microphone always being on? You mean it's constantly looped back?
    Thanks Lisiano.

    It does look like I meant Alsamixer. But it's strange that it was not installed and I cannot remember uninstalling anything. I shall play around with the controls to see what happens, but I'm a complete noob with audio. Is there a guide you can recommend?

    As for you last question, the micro is on all the time. So when I type, or even move the mouse, the micro picks up the vibration and I hear it on the speakers.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •