Thread: FF homepage is 'about:startpage' .. where is it configured to use Google?

Beans

FF homepage is 'about:startpage' .. where is it configured to use Google?

This is a browser-related question.

In Firefox 16(on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS), the homepage is by default set to 'about:startpage'.

I know I can change the setting to any web page I prefer but I was wondering where Google is configured as the search engine for the 'about:startpage' property.

I had a scratch around in about:config but could not see where it is defined/configured.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: FF homepage is 'about:startpage' .. where is it configured to use Google?

Firefox Preferences > General > Home Page

Edit - Ignore this, I didn't read your thread properly.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emonti View Post
    I had a scratch around in about:config but could not see where it is defined/configured.
    If you type "google" in the search bar present near the top of the about:config page, you'll see entries related to Google.

Beans

Don't think this is a Firefox option, but more to do with Ubuntu branding, the "Ubuntu Firefox Modifications" addon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Don't think this is a Firefox option, but more to do with Ubuntu branding, the "Ubuntu Firefox Modifications" addon.
    But vanilla Firefox (installed direct from Mozilla and not from the USC or any ppa) also has google.com as the default engine on the page accessed by typing about:home.

Beans

I get about:startpage going to http://start.ubuntu.com/12.10/Google/?sourceid=hp with Ubuntu Firefox Modifications enabled.

Disabling Ubuntu Firefox Modifications gets the plain vanilla Firefox branding, which also goes to google but obviously not via ubuntu.com.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    I get about:startpage going to http://start.ubuntu.com/12.10/Google/?sourceid=hp with Ubuntu Firefox Modifications enabled.

Disabling Ubuntu Firefox Modifications gets the plain vanilla Firefox branding, which also goes to google but obviously not via ubuntu.com.
    Oops! My bad. OP wants to know about about:startpage and I'm going on about about:home
    (The vanilla Firefox doesn't even recognize about:startpage as a valid url.)