Thread: Notebook overheating.

Beans

Unhappy Notebook overheating.

So I was wondering when the bug causing various types of laptops (Acer Aspire 5542 in my case) to freeze/crash/shut down, as a result of overheating, will be fixed.

I've tried every 'fix' suggested in the ubuntuforums and bug reports but nothing seems to work

I've searched the forums and googled a lot lately and a lotof people seem to have this problem.

Related bug reports:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/387620
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/451337

Beans

Re: Notebook overheating.

I don't know which bug are you talking about but Acer Aspire 5542 got overheating issues by design faulty, it will crash in win and linux too in case you use the gpu and cpu on 100% for a few minutes.
    It's probably a design fault like using the same heatsink for both or alike.
    I'm struggling with this issue on the same laptop too (i can easily freeze it with a cooling pad in use too :SS)

(all in all i wont recommend this laptop for anyone, there's some software related sound problems too with it in linux which makes it hardly usable; teamspeak, firefox, wine and you will have to restart the whole sound system in a few minutes...)
    Last edited by necrologist; January 27th, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

Beans

Re: Notebook overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by necrologist View Post
    I don't know which bug are you talking about but Acer Aspire 5542 got overheating issues by design faulty, it will crash in win and linux too in case you use the gpu and cpu on 100% for a few minutes.
    It's probably a design fault like using the same heatsink for both or alike.
    I'm struggling with this issue on the same laptop too (i can easily freeze it with a cooling pad in use too :SS)

(all in all i wont recommend this laptop for anyone, there's some software related sound problems too with it in linux which makes it hardly usable; teamspeak, firefox, wine and you will have to restart the whole sound system in a few minutes...)
    Im not very sure but i guess it isn't design fault. I do have an Acer Aspire 5542G (with graphic card) and im dying with the same overheating problem on ubuntu 12.04 . With windows7 the laptop stays very cool. And my laptop was shipped with LINPUS LINUX.