Thread: martian_dev modem driver not in lucid repository, but martian_modem is

Beans

Question martian_dev modem driver not in lucid repository, but martian_modem is

I have an old winmodem that I had installed under hardy using the martian_modem built from source. This would build the userspace component program "martian_modem" as well as the kernel driver martian_dev. The lucid repos now have a martian_modem package, but this seems to only include the userspace martian_modem app, and not the kernel driver martian_dev. I don't mind building from source, but this computer is for my gf mom, and so I have to tell her to not download new kernels, or else she looses her internet access until I can stop by and rebuild the driver. I was hoping to see a martian_dev module that would be updated as the kernel was updated, but no dice. basically, the martian_modem package seems to be useless without a matching martian_dev driver as well.

Even if I were to get both installed, how do I go about adding a dialup connection to networkmanager?

Beans

Re: martian_dev modem driver not in lucid repository, but martian_modem is

Quote Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
    I have an old winmodem that I had installed under hardy using the martian_modem built from source. This would build the userspace component program "martian_modem" as well as the kernel driver martian_dev. The lucid repos now have a martian_modem package, but this seems to only include the userspace martian_modem app, and not the kernel driver martian_dev. I don't mind building from source, but this computer is for my gf mom, and so I have to tell her to not download new kernels, or else she looses her internet access until I can stop by and rebuild the driver. I was hoping to see a martian_dev module that would be updated as the kernel was updated, but no dice. basically, the martian_modem package seems to be useless without a matching martian_dev driver as well.

Even if I were to get both installed, how do I go about adding a dialup connection to networkmanager?
    Ok, so I made some progress; I got the martian_dev module installed using packages from the repos, but it still requires manual intervention (I think) when a new kernel gets installed.

First, from multiverse, I installed martian-modem, which is the userspace component of the driver. I didn't realize, but martian-modem-source is not the source package for martian-modem, but rather the source for the kernel module. So I installed martian-modem-source, which also pulled in module-assistant. Not knowing anything about that program, I took at look at this page at the debian wiki.

Using those instructions, I did a
    Code:
    sudo m-a prepare
    which pulled in several dependencies (which as I found out later, was not all that is needed). Then I did a
    Code:
    sudo m-a update
    and then listed the modules module-assistant could build
    Code:
    m-a -t list | grep -E '^[^ ].*\(' | cut -d " " -f 1 | sort
    After running this command, the martian-modem was not listed. The FAQ of the debian wiki mentioned the directory /usr/share/modass/packages, and after looking at the installed files of martian-modem-source, noticed that it didn't update anything in that directory. So I copied an existing script in that dir, called it martian-modem-source with permissions 755 and this content:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # (c) Eduard Bloch <blade@debian.org>, 2003
    # generic maintainer script for module-assistant controled packages
    # to be sourced or copied as example code

# autodetecting values. They may be overriden by the caller.

MA_DIR=${MA_DIR:-/usr/share/modass}
    TARBALL=/usr/src/martian-modem.tar.bz2
    BUILDDIR=${MODULE_LOC:-/usr/src/modules}/martian-modem

. $MA_DIR/packages/generic.sh

$1 "$@"
    then reran
    Code:
    sudo m-a update
    and martian-modem now showed up as a module that could be built.

To build the module, I ran
    Code:
    sudo m-a a-i martian-modem
    which promptly failed on a quilt.make or similar error. I then installed the package quilt and another dependency that the build failed on at a later step was the package debhelper. After I had those installed, the module-assistant built the deb for the martian module and installed it.

Finally, after a reboot, the martian_dev kernel module was in use and the userspace program martian_modem was running. I now had my /dev/ttySM0 link that I could use in GnomePPP.

So, now, how to get my ppp connection to show up and be managed by NetworkManager. Is that even possible?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

┌────────────────┤ module-assistant, error message ├─────────────────┐
    │ │
    │ Installation of the martian-modem-source source failed. ↑
    │ ▮
    │ Ignoring this package. Maybe you need to add something to ▒
    │ sources.list, maybe the contrib and non-free archives.

│ ▒
    │ ▒
    │ ▒
    │ ▒
    │ ▒
    │ ▒
    │ ▒
    │ ↓

│ <Ok>
    │ │
    └───────────────────────────────────────────────── ───────────────────┘
    I made a script as suggested, and put it where it belonged(?) so now when I try

the above is the result.

By the way; in synaptic I think it shows that I was successful compiling martian as it is a package called martian-mobile-modules with my kernel 2.6.32-22-generic beside it.

Obviously close, but not close enough!

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Mike.

PS. I entered 'sudo m-a -t list | grep -E '^[^ ].*\(' | cut -d " " -f 1 | sort' which listed - amongst others -:

lufs-source
    madwifi-source
    martian-modem-source
    mga-vid-source
    misdn-kernel-source

martian-modem-source is the name I gave to the script, so looks like it turned up in the right spot.
    Last edited by MichaelSM; June 29th, 2010 at 01:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Wow, oryan! Your procedure got me up and running. I have a Tecra 8100 with an Agere winmodem, running Lubuntu 11.04. To help anyone who may need it, I'll clean this up and write it down as instructions rather than a history of what I did. Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything here.

I installed martian-modem and martian-modem-source. I also installed quilt and devhelper (this site suggested I needed it) in Synaptic. Then I ran
    Code:
    sudo m-a update
    Then, as you suggested, I went to /usr/share/modass/packages (you'll need root permission, so I did Alt-F2 and entered gksudo thunar). I copied one of the files there and pasted it into the same place, then renamed it martian-modem-source. I opened a command prompt there (easy to do with a right-click in Thunar), and entered chmod 755 martian-modem-source, and closed the command prompt. Then I opened martian-modem-source, deleted what was inside, and pasted in that block of code:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # (c) Eduard Bloch <blade@debian.org>, 2003
    # generic maintainer script for module-assistant controled packages
    # to be sourced or copied as example code

# autodetecting values. They may be overriden by the caller.

MA_DIR=${MA_DIR:-/usr/share/modass}
    TARBALL=/usr/src/martian-modem.tar.bz2
    BUILDDIR=${MODULE_LOC:-/usr/src/modules}/martian-modem

. $MA_DIR/packages/generic.sh

$1 "$@"
    Then I ran
    Code:
    sudo m-a update
    and
    Code:
    It worked that time! So I installed hwinfo from Synaptic, ran that from a command line, and now the modem shows in there as active.

I rebooted (don't know if that's necessary), and created a script on my Desktop containing the following:
    Code:
    gksudo ln -s /dev/ttySM0 /dev/modem
    /usr/bin/kppp
    For those unfamiliar with how Martian works, it assigns your modem to /dev/ttySM0, which is all well and good--except that KPPP doesn't offer that in its drop-down list. So the first line of my script associates it with /dev/modem, one of the standard locations (and I think the most common one). Then it opens KPPP automatically, which saves me a step and makes sure I don't open KPPP before the modem is properly associated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, how would I go about enabling more than one modem in the
    /etc/default/martian-modem configuration file.

Is there a way to setup

ttySM0
    ttySM1
    ttySM2

??

right now, my ubuntu 10.04 setup is able to see ttySM0 and I have been
    able to setup that one modem under Hylafax, but I need to add the other
    two modems as well.

FYI, this is what I the system has installed:

> dmesg | grep martian

[ 8.581524] martian loaded - 20080620
    [ 8.581631] martian 0000:01:04.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
    [ 8.581672] martian: added device 11c1:44e BaseAddress = 0xdc00, CommAddres = 0xdbe8, irq = 16
    [ 8.581691] martian 0000:01:05.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
    [ 8.581726] martian: added device 11c1:44e BaseAddress = 0xdd00, CommAddres = 0xdbf0, irq = 17
    [ 8.581742] martian 0000:01:06.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
    [ 8.581767] martian: added device 11c1:442 BaseAddress = 0xde00, CommAddres = 0xdbf8, irq = 18
    [ 9.865490] martian_modem is attached.

I have been looking all over the net for this, but I have had no luck.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I wish I knew. I'm kind of a beginner myself, so adding multiple modems with martian is above my experience level.

Beans

Hello,

i tried to çonfigure my win agere modem like Oryan Dunn described above.
    But I didn'tr get the mistake away when I runned

'sudo m-a a-i martian-modem'

It always stops at 31 % with message 'module not succesfull buildt'

Even to install quilt and debhelper did not help.

How can I fix that bug?

Thanx,

Richie.