Thread: Admin user cant see DVD Rom but standar users can

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Admin user cant see DVD Rom but standar users can

Hello community, I am openning a new post since I am not be able to resolve my problem with a DVD rom. I am able to see the DVD rom device on any standar user session of my Ubuntu 12 system but I dont see it while I am logged in to the administrator account. I dont see it in Home folder and when I go to my media folder I can but the folder has an x at the right bottom and if I click on it I got this message: "You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of DVD CONTENTE HERE".

What can I do to recover the access to my DVD rom since I was able to access it without problems before? Thank you in advanced for any help you can provide me!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Admin user cant see DVD Rom but standar users can

I think you have to be cdrom group. Run the command groups to find out if you're in said group (if you are, it's obviously a different issue).

If you are not in the cdrom group, you can add yourself with this command:
    Code:
    sudo usermod -a -G cdrom [username here]
    Be sure to use the -a option or you will remove yourself from all other groups.
    Last edited by dniMretsaM; October 20th, 2012 at 03:13 AM.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Admin user cant see DVD Rom but standar users can

Hey dniMretsaM thank you for replying, I did what you suggested and I received this ouput "user Euclides (admin) does not exist" what it does not make sense, I then discovered in the user accounts settings that my user had a "locked" status in the upper right corner so I clicked there and then I was able to see the content of the DVD rom. I am not really sure what happended but its good to know that my issue has been resolved.

Thank you again, cheers!