Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Low graphics mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Low graphics mode

The issue started during 12.04 before 12.04.1. It points to the devs not having enough fast computers that are prone to 'race' issues. At least that's my opinion. Has something to do with moving from the initial openings to the login, lightdm. Seems to not have the issue when gdm is used instead of lightdm.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    Doesn't work for me, but I see that the devs are working on it. For me it goes back to 12.04.
    It might help to try increasing the sleep time if you have a fast system. I'm using sleep 10 so that I can see the error before lightdm restarts.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    It might help to try increasing the sleep time if you have a fast system. I'm using sleep 10 so that I can see the error before lightdm restarts.
    Thanks! I did as you say and can see the error msg, 'waiting for battery check' or something like that.

I went from a sleep of 10 to 5 and it works. I still think the issue has to do with how the code goes from initial to lightdm. It seems to work fine with gdm instead of lightdm. So the routine must be different between the two programs. The devs are working on it. I'm sure it will be fixed one of these days, but sorry to see the issue goes back to late versions of 12.04.

Thanks again!
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Strangely, but the problem is gone for me. I have reverted to lightdm and now my PC turns on every time without a problem. May be it is fixed with some update. Can you check that on your machines ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm fully updated and still experiencing the issue.

Beans
    Distro

I tried lightdm on 12.04.1, 12.10, and 13.03 and it didn't work. Back to using gdm. It's not fixed for me.

Beans

It works for me every time more than 50 boots. May be I have installed something that made my PC running slower or faster in some appropriate way.

Beans

By the way, I don't have the problem when updating from 12.04 instead of installing 12.10 from CD.

Beans

I also have an SSD on my ASUS laptop which I don't think is the cause. I solved the issue by installing some of the libraries which lightdm had on 12.04 but missing on 12.10. The easy way to do this is, simply install gdm along side lightdm and reboot the system. Then I went ahead and un-installed gdm after reboot. I have not seen the low-graphics mode since. Hope this helps...

Beans

Acctually the tag of the thread is about the problem with the intel HD4000 and not ATi graphics. I did what you suggested and I almost had to format my machine.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast