Thread: DNS lookup fails after 12.10 upgrade

Beans

Exclamation DNS lookup fails after 12.10 upgrade

I upgraded to 12.10 yesterday and now I can't seem to resolve domain names. Connection Information seems to provide proper DNS server addresses from DHCP, but "ping" and "nslookup" both immediately fail with "unknown host" errors. I have tried external servers (google.com, ubuntu.com) as well as internal network host names, and none work. I can successfully ping IP addresses (internal and external). This occurs for both ethernet and wireless connections. Booting into Windows 7 on the same system does not have this problem.

Beans

Re: DNS lookup fails after 12.10 upgrade

Same problem; don't know what to do...

Beans
    Hidden!

I had the same problem, noticed that /etc/resolv.conf had only 127.0.0.1 listed as a nameserver (I'm on a router connection and it should be 192.168.1.1)

I manually changed it but I'm not sure why the wireless handshake didn't set it properly, since my wifi connection shows the Primary DNS and Default Route are 192.168.1.1.

Beans

I'm having the same problem -- or at least a similar problem. My Windows partition still works, but not Ubuntu. Worked OK before the upgrade to 12.10. I'm wired only, not wireless on this box.

I thought the loopback address was supposed to change to 127.0.1.1 with theis upgrade, but it's still 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf. Can that cause a problem?

I can ping other IP addresses on my network, but I can't ping outside the network. Can't ping Google, even using their IP.

My many previous ugrades have worked fine, but this one is perplexing. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Last edited by ORF1000; October 26th, 2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Clarified my issue.

Beans

I'm watching this thread to see if it gets us an answer.

Beans

Hi,

I had the same issue, after upgrading from Xubuntu 12.04 to 12.10, I could not resolve domain names anymore.

I simply followed this procedure found at http://askubuntu.com/questions/21201...er-doesnt-work

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
    And I answered Yes to the prompts

It fixed my issue

Beans

emanuelv's solution is probably the solution for most of you. Somehow resolvconf did not get installed properly and is not able to update resolv.conf. Note that if a local forwarding nameserver is running then the right address is 127.0.0.1 (Precise) or 127.0.1.1 (Quantal).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emanuelv View Post
    I simply followed this procedure found at http://askubuntu.com/questions/21201...er-doesnt-work
    If that answer helped you then please vote it up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emanuelv View Post
    Hi,

I had the same issue, after upgrading from Xubuntu 12.04 to 12.10, I could not resolve domain names anymore.

It fixed my issue
    Yes, I too had the very same dns fault after I updated watt-os -an ubuntu derivative - to version 12.10. This procedure fixed my issue too.