Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 released

Beans

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 released

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    Yes there is, its actually what I'm using currently on my pc because I found gnome-shell 3.6 to be extremely buggy at the moment (I've already ranted about that in some previous posts in this thread lol): http://ubuntu-gs-remix.sourceforge.net/p/download/

I've been very satisfied with it, 12.04 + gnome-shell is rock solid
    Downloaded it, installed it and playing with it. Appears to be quite solid. Gnome 3.4 has lots of extensions and this remix would be LTS. How did I miss it before, I've no idea.

Shouldn't write about that here, so would you start a topic, screaminj3sus?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Well well my friend, have a look at the first edition of the iso-build-script where it says "initial commit, based off Jan Hoffmann's work for the Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix"

Convinced ?

This is the first 5 lines from the livecd-script.sh

Never forget your roots.
    Roots are one thing, but that project and this project are NOT one in the same

I notice a few people saying that the 12.04 gnome-shell remix is LTS which is factually incorrect:

As there are some people asking about the next version based on Ubuntu 12.04: Yes, there will be a new version released shortly after Ubuntu's final release. It won't be a LTS version, though, as it contains software from the universe repository that is not supported as long.
    Source:

http://ubuntu-gs-remix.sourceforge.n...og/articles/1/

Additionally that PPA has recieved no updates since April 2012.

I just don't want to give anyone false info or mislead them into believing that one project morphed into another which is just not true. Here's the announcement of 12.10 on Jan's blog:

http://ubuntu-gs-remix.sourceforge.n...og/articles/4/

You'll notice that it says:

With Ubuntu GNOME Remix coming together with Ubuntu 12.10, there won't be a new version of my own remix anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Roots are one thing, but that project and this project are NOT one in the same
    I had my saying and proved the relationship between the two unofficial remix'es, the original from Jan and the improved from Jeremy.
    I humbly rest my case

Actually UGR isn't Jeremy's invention originally either, here is the original UGR Linux and their wiki page, maybe Jan Hoffmann got the idea to his build script from the UGR-isobuilder page ?
    But that's pure speculation.
    Last edited by Stinger; December 19th, 2012 at 06:08 PM. Reason: UGR Linux

Beans

Whatever it is, I'm very glad that Stinger, Screaminj3sus and others, who pointed at this this UGR 12.04. It is a fantastic one. As it is Precise based, the gnome shell would be 3.4.2 and could be updated with whatever updates issued by Precise repos. I understand the ppa is not updated as Kansasnoob say, but any update from Precise would come through. I am more interested in the gnome classic than the gnome shell, so this would sort of work as LTS for me, I believe. Right now, it works superbly. Let's see what it'd bring in. I shall be using it on the doomsday too, whether the world would end that day. How did I miss it before, I don't know.

Thanks guys!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    I had my saying and proved the relationship between the two unofficial remix'es, the original from Jan and the improved from Jeremy.
    I humbly rest my case

Actually UGR isn't Jeremy's invention originally either, here is the original UGR Linux and their wiki page, maybe Jan Hoffmann got the idea to his build script from the UGR-isobuilder page ?
    But that's pure speculation.
    But in my OP I clearly stated:

This project should not be confused with UGR, Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix, or any other project.
    And I verified that the info I was providing was correct with the "Ubuntu-GNOME-Remix" team

This is a totally different project, just using someone else's iso script doesn't change that fact.

Beans

are we still alive?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAviator View Post
    are we still alive?
    Yes!

https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/

It's a small team but "ubuntu-gnome-desktop" is in the repos and will remain there.

What we need are people willing to create a QA team and others willing to create a semi-official wiki

Sadly I'm getting long-in-the-tooth so I can't help much but this is a project that needs the help of motivated and capable members.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Yes!

https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/

It's a small team but "ubuntu-gnome-desktop" is in the repos and will remain there.

What we need are people willing to create a QA team and others willing to create a semi-official wiki

Sadly I'm getting long-in-the-tooth so I can't help much but this is a project that needs the help of motivated and capable members.
    That's good to hear! I'll sign up right away and see what I can do.

Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceAviator View Post
    That's good to hear! I'll sign up right away and see what I can do.

Cheers!
    Cool, you'll find that everyone on the mailing list is quite easy to get along with

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617