Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 released

Beans

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 released

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCyber View Post
    Does FXAA within Nvidia settings work in the remix? I need it for Flightgear.
    I wish I had a clue but I don't

What little I know about graphics could be stored in a thimble

Beans

BTW I'm working on some other projects right now like this one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2074321

But if you check the mailing list I did ask if I made any major errors in this notification:

https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/

One thing I did not include was this:

Perhaps one other thing worth mentioning is that all our fixes go back into the ubuntu archives, so they will benefit all users that choose to use gnome shell/classic, even if they dont use the remix! In fact we even fixed a bunch of bugs (with a few more fixes pending) when using lightdm and gnome-shell together.
    So we do have motivated devs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    Gnome tweak tool has options to toggle shade on user selected clicks (left, right or middle button), not sure if it can do it on scroll though.
    Thanks for the other extension. I know about Gnome tweak tool but it doesn't allow the mouse scroll button to shade the windows. Little things like this just drive me nuts. Do the Gnome devs really prefer double clicking on Windows borders? It must be a trivially easy hack, but no one with the knowhow seems inclined.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Installed it this evening. I like it. Very nice work. Subjectively, I think it's faster than the 12.10 install it replaced. (Unity is looking really good, but that HUD and lens thing don't appeal to me. I'm more in tune with Gnome's aesthetics.)

I installed Synaptic after giving Software I quick try. I've used it in other distros, so I'll go back for another look.

The "Additional Drivers" in "Software Sources" did not work, repeatedly., when I went after the Nvidia driver. A progress bar moved a fraction of an inch, then stopped. I installed the driver with apt-get. (Believe Additional Drivers is a QT app and comes with a long trail of KDE dependencies, so perhaps it didn't make into this Gnome version. Or, maybe the servers were down tonight. )

The extensions site is definitely down at the moment, so that will have to wait.

Unless this thing crashes and burns on me, I intend to keep it running at least until Fedora 18 comes out in December (per the current schedule). Then, who knows?

Beans

Just wanted to drop a note saying that I've wanted this distro for something close to two years now, so thank you for making it. You might want to edit your README in "What's Not Included" though to include the need to install update-manager if people want the traditional system update. It's how most mainstream Ubuntu users expect to find/install updates.

I'm not sure why it isn't in there, even more traditional GNOME distros like Debian tend to include it and supposedly it is a GNOME package, but I'm not one to raise a fuss.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Psyael View Post
    Just wanted to drop a note saying that I've wanted this distro for something close to two years now, so thank you for making it. You might want to edit your README in "What's Not Included" though to include the need to install update-manager if people want the traditional system update. It's how most mainstream Ubuntu users expect to find/install updates.

I'm not sure why it isn't in there, even more traditional GNOME distros like Debian tend to include it and supposedly it is a GNOME package, but I'm not one to raise a fuss.
    I'd posted a bit about that in the dev forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2064749

Sadly the forum mods made it very hard to search that out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You should add the option to install other deskops at install after selecting flash etc. addons alike it's done in FreeBSD or OpenSuse. Also useful would be a rating for gaming etc. Default Unity would
    probably be last in such ratings.
    Also nvidia install should be smoother.

This would separate the remix from the default. You have a name for remix already to become official?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'd posted a bit about that in the dev forum:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2064749

Sadly the forum mods made it very hard to search that out
    Does this updater automatically check for updates and prompt the user if they wish to install them? The post makes it sound almost like it's just a manual check.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Psyael View Post
    Does this updater automatically check for updates and prompt the user if they wish to install them? The post makes it sound almost like it's just a manual check.
    I can't answer that definitively because (a) I've tweaked so much stuff in both my Gnome shell and Gnome classic installs that I no longer know what the default Gnome behavior is, and (b) out of habit I always check for updates each day before I start working just so it's out of the way

But I want to say yes, in fact not very long ago there was a mid-day security update for Firefox and I got a notification. I think I recall reading at one time that security update notifications are nearly immediate, but standard distribution updates are on a slower interval (like once a week)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCyber View Post
    You should add the option to install other deskops at install after selecting flash etc. addons alike it's done in FreeBSD or OpenSuse. Also useful would be a rating for gaming etc. Default Unity would
    probably be last in such ratings.
    Also nvidia install should be smoother.

This would separate the remix from the default. You have a name for remix already to become official?
    I seriously doubt that the devs would want to "add the option to install other deskops at install" because the greatest purpose of this project is to be as close as possible to a pure Gnome experience, in large part so the Gnome devs and Ubuntu devs can work somewhat more seemlessly without breaking each others work

The netboot mini.iso does provide that sort of option via 'tasksel' and uses the familiar Debian text installer. In fact I think the devs are trying to improve the wireless support in the mini.iso since the alternate images have been dropped.

Regarding the name we know that Gnome does not want their full name used in the final product, and I suspect that the name will be decided on by Canonical. My best guess, and it's only a guess, is Gubuntu

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast