Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 released

Beans

Re: Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 released

It was this "brand identity" and "design" over all else approach that I have seen building in unity (and will no doubt get stronger) that has been the biggest factor in me giving up on unity forever and moving on to shell instead.

Indeed, it wouldn't suprise me that shell may go the same way and KDE also.

At the same time, for years desktop environments and distros have been horribly inconsistent in many ways and often 3 different gnome (or KDE) apps may be part of the same environment but look and feel even work completely different to each other.

I think having a clear goal of where they want their desktop to go is a good thing, as is a certain amount of consistency between the various apps and components.
    When this reaches a point where they are actually blocking other ways of doing things altogether, that don't fit in with their "design", then we have a problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by x-shaney-x View Post
    When this reaches a point where they are actually blocking other ways of doing things altogether, that don't fit in with their "design", then we have a problem...
    Right. But even more so, if the Gnome Devs are going to show complete indifference (let alone hostility) to contributions from the broader community, then I want nothing to do with them. I was wondering why it was taking so long to get useful extensions & themes... now I know.

At the same time, for years desktop environments and distros have been horribly inconsistent in many ways and often 3 different gnome (or KDE) apps may be part of the same environment but look and feel even work completely different to each other.
    Yes, but it seems that this is only going to get worse. Rather than inconsistent looks, we'll have apps that don't even work from one DE to the next. DEs like XFCE (which I use) and LXDE are going get shafted. Not sure how this is all going to sugar off. Some of the code issues are above my pay grade.
    Last edited by VTPoet; November 10th, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here. This is the choice quote from Allan Day:

Facilitating the unrestricted use of extensions and themes by end users seems contrary to the central tenets of the GNOME 3 design. We’ve fought long and hard to give GNOME 3 a consistent visual appearance, to make it synonymous with a single user experience and to ensure that that experience is of a consistently high quality. A general purpose extensions and themes distribution system seems to threaten much of that.

I’m particularly surprised by the inclusion of themes. It seems bizarre that we specifically designed the GNOME 3 control center not to include theme installation/selection and then to reintroduce that very same functionality via extensions.
    The only reason Gnome even has extensions, apparently, is because Gnome can't lock up its source code. What's the next best thing? Being as unfriendly as possible to contributors.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Indeed. As mentioned, I used VLC and the screen still blanked.
    This was with the screen set to never turn off AND with the VLC option to inhibit screensaver enabled.

So I went on to smplayer.
    This time I had no interruptions at all. smplayer also has an inhibit option which was enabled by default and I left it so.

Didn't have time to do anything else but I want to try with smplayer and the screen turn off set to 10 minutes or something and see if smplayer still inhibits.

Maybe this points to a bug in the way totem and VLC try to inhibit the blanking?
    I must assume smplayer does it differently.

<EDIT>
    Tried smplayer with screen blanking back on and it doesn't inhibit.
    So the only way to watch a whole film is to turn screen blanking off completely AND use smplayer.
    What about GNOME MPLAYER 1.0.7 ? Should be the same with the same backend. If you have the time you could try that one too

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Here. This is the choice quote from Allan Day:

The only reason Gnome even has extensions, apparently, is because Gnome can't lock up its source code. What's the next best thing? Being as unfriendly as possible to contributors.
    Though as I understand it, a promise for 3.8 is that extensions will be automatically updated (ie made compatible) for users, to get around the problem of waiting for your favourite extension to be updated by it's developer. That alone would make extensions MORE desirable to users.

I'm not sure we are getting the full story here somehow.
    In any case, at the moment at least, Gnome's idea of "branding" seems to be different to unity's to me.
    In that Gnome's is more about a consistent and recognisable interface rather than unity's which seems to be gearing more towards a sell-able brand.
    Time will tell.

Either way, I can't say I feel particularly comfortable in ANY desktop environment these days.
    My choice is more on what works best for me right now. What the future holds is another matter...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    What about GNOME MPLAYER 1.0.7 ? Should be the same with the same backend. If you have the time you could try that one too
    Gave gnome-mplayer a try (from the PPA you linked to) and sad to say it behaved exactly the same as totem and VLC and blanked out after 10 minutes or so.
    Like the others I tried with Brightness & Lock settings set to turn off after 10 minutes and again with it set to Never.

Beans

It was this "brand identity" and "design" over all else approach that I have seen building in unity (and will no doubt get stronger) that has been the biggest factor in me giving up on unity forever and moving on to shell instead.
    All you have to do is, open Synaptic, reload it and install gnome-shell, and then log out and log into Gnome, and uninstall Unity.

You have your Ubuntu-Gnome remix without the Ubuntu-Gnome-desktop. You'd have Gnome 3.6.1, and if you'd like to change the Quantal repos to Raring, you can get the 3.7.1, only you won't have much extensions.

Good day!

Beans
    Distro

@x-shaney-x
    The Caffeine shell extension should be working now according to the latest four posts on the Caffeine page
    This is a comment from the author 'eon'
    A bug should be opened against Ubuntu. This extension or lavi741's one use the Inhibit dbus interface of the session manager that's all and it is provided by a standard GNOME component.
    And as you can se from the latest user comments, it should be working in Gnome-Shell 3.6.1 and Ubuntu 12.10
    You could try the extension again

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    @x-shaney-x
    The Caffeine shell extension should be working now according to the latest four posts on the Caffeine page
    This is a comment from the author 'eon'

And as you can se from the latest user comments, it should be working in Gnome-Shell 3.6.1 and Ubuntu 12.10
    You could try the extension again
    I actually tried it again yesterday after reading those same comments and still not working here.
    Though I got the impression from the comments that people are using shell over regular Ubuntu so may not have something installed on the remix that might be leading to the problems.

I'm starting to wonder if it could be a problem my end. Might be worth trying on a fresh install when I get a bit of time...

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I'm really liking Ubuntu Remix. I've added the Gnome testing PPA and Gnome 3 PPA. I guess I'm trying to see if I can break it.
    I've gotten to the point where i can now manipulate the gnome 3 panel. I was able to change the theme and remove the "accessibility" icon. I also have all three buttons on the window (minimize, maximize and close).

click image for full 1600x900 resolution
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast