Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to run exe file in ubuntu 12.04

Beans

how to run exe file in ubuntu 12.04

hi,
    Iam having airtel 3g dongle but iam not able to install it in ubuntu 12.04, because it contain exe file. so please help me...
    Last edited by sunil5; October 19th, 2012 at 07:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: how to run exe file in ubuntu 12.04

Linux doesn't run .exe files natively, but you can use Wine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by sunil5 View Post
    Iam having airtel 3g dongle but iam not able to install it in ubuntu 12.04
    What did you try until now and was failed ?
    Quote Originally Posted by sunil5 View Post
    because it contain exe file. so please help me...
    As @2F4U said , you cannot run .exe files in Ubuntu.

I don't know if you use Wine if resolve your problem with the dongle but you can try.

Another try (natively try) would be Sakis3g program.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, sunil5
    I am guessing that you're trying to install the USB modem by its .exe setup file. If so, of course that will fail.
    I have found a post by Google: http://computer-kamal.blogspot.de/20...-in-linux.html
    If yes, maybe you can find an .sh file in the use. Otherwise, you could check the website of the producer (Airtel).

In my experience of laptop-using-usb-modem, both in 10.04 and 12.04, I don't have to install any of the module to activate the USB modem (hTC Legend). This is quite convenient for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There should be two ways to do it, you can try an use wine to run the exe file, but that might not work althought you should be able to set it up in network connections. If you enter in to network manager via the top right of the screen or enter through system settings you should be able to add the dondle throught the diffrent tabs of network manager.
    hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ok since this is clearly a hardware thing your talking about here. Wine is not the way to go. Try using the network settings like danelwillis has recommended. Wine is to only run Software not drivers. So can not be the solution in this case.

Use wine for games,browsers and any other day to day software.
    To get a wireless driver from windows to work on Linux use Ndiswrapper.

That's as far as using Windows software on Linux that you can go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

For future reference, Wine can NOT be used to install Windows drivers. With the sole exception of NDISWrapper for network drivers, ALL the other drivers must be Liniux drivers, not Windows drivers.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

When I installed my 3G dongle I found the manufacturer in Network, and it worked fine with the Ubuntu drivers.
    You probably don't need to run the .exe file to install the dongle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You wont need to install any drivers for a 3G dongle. Forget about the .exe, it wont run in Linux, but you don't need it anyway.

Your dongle is quite likely to be a Huawei model. Quite a lot of them are. You an check on tha by plugging it in and doing
    Code:
    lsusb
    If you are not sure you are seeing it, unplug it, do the lsusb again, plug it in again, doe the command again. See what appears and disappears.

Anyway, the way to get the thing working is to plug it in, and let the computer think a bit. It is likely that a usb storage will appear, but not certain. Right click on your network icon and choose "edit connections" or whatever it is in english that is similar to that. In the network setup thing, go to the "moblie broadband" tab and choose "add". Follow it through. Should work.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ubuntu has the drivers for these devices already. You just need configure the device in network settings. It's like a 4 step configuration just to get those devices to work. But they do work on Ubuntu. You just have to enter who is the ISP and your type of contract with them. Then (going purely by memory here), you tell Ubuntu what the pin to the dongle is. Save. Restart, connect and your done.

Ok that's more like 6 steps, but still very easy, all done through a GUI as well.
    Read what other people have to say. No matter how experienced you are, you don't know everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast