Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded to 12.10 from 12.04. Webapps not working.

Beans

Upgraded to 12.10 from 12.04. Webapps not working.

I just upgraded my 12.04 box to 12.10. I have a few problems:

1) In 12.04 I added google's repo to install chrome. Web apps are not working with chrome for me right now

2) I installed chromium from the software center. Web apps are not working from chromium

3) I opened gmail from firefox. It almost looked like webapps were going to work with firefox as I got a popup from gmail to enable desktop functionality. However, I don't get a gmail icon in sidebar, and none of the webapp integration is present on my ubuntu!

4) I saw in a youtube video that gimp was integrated with unituy apps and that the dashboard would give me extra functionallity.. This isn't present in my install

How can I get the unity apps/ web apps to work? This was the feature I was looking forward to the most!

Beans

Re: Upgraded to 12.10 from 12.04.. Webapps not working??

I just visited http://developer.ubuntu.com/api/ubun...ipt/index.html and clicked on all the "Execute this code now" links a try and not a single one of them worked. I'm obviously missing whatever package enables the unity API on my machine. This is the absolute worse upgrade I've been through yet!

Beans

I verified that unity-chromium-extension is installed... Another dead end...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Same here, the webapps hud is not working (the only thing that I can get to work are shortcuts to gmail/twitter/etc)

Beans

I'm also one of many that seems to be having problems with (a few of) the web apps. I have gotten Facebook and Twitter to function perfectly. Gmail is still a problem. I've installed it, it appears on my launcher and in the panel envelope. BUT, it does not indicate any new unread emails in the inbox. And, when clicked, it opens up an entirely new window to gmail even if there is another window signed into gmail...i'm using Firefox btw, dont know if this makes a difference.

I tired uninstalling and reinstalling the unity-webapps-gmail from Software Center. It didn't do anything. In fact, after uninstalling it (and before reinstalling it), I restarted my computer and the gmail indicator was still present in the panel envelope menu and on the launcher! I'm not sure what is going on. I reinstalled it, and still doesn't really work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eggsbenedict View Post
    I'm also one of many that seems to be having problems with (a few of) the web apps. I have gotten Facebook and Twitter to function perfectly. Gmail is still a problem. I've installed it, it appears on my launcher and in the panel envelope. BUT, it does not indicate any new unread emails in the inbox. And, when clicked, it opens up an entirely new window to gmail even if there is another window signed into gmail...i'm using Firefox btw, dont know if this makes a difference.

I tired uninstalling and reinstalling the unity-webapps-gmail from Software Center. It didn't do anything. In fact, after uninstalling it (and before reinstalling it), I restarted my computer and the gmail indicator was still present in the panel envelope menu and on the launcher! I'm not sure what is going on. I reinstalled it, and still doesn't really work.
    So have you tried if it works with chromium?
    Anyway for me when I use chrome, nothing happens, but if I use firefox I get the message asking if I want to install "gmail" for extra features and faster access ( I didn't try to install it, since I don't understand these webapps very well and I am afraid that if I install it from firefox, will always open firefox as default for these webapps)

Also I was curious about the fact that you said you are tired of installing unity-webapps-gmail.. I have installed this morning a ppa for webapps, but I wonder if that is a ppa for all of them and what you are doing is configuring one by one. Do I need to also install unity-webapps-gmail? I guess answer is no, because when I tried to install I got a message saying that "if you install unity-webapps-gmail, future updates will not include new items in Unity Webapps Preview metapackage set. Are you sure you want to continue?" and then lists "unity webapp integration scripts and Unity webapps preview metapackage.

Any idea?

Beans

Well, by some miracle I got it to work on my wife's login, but it refuses to work on my login.

Regarding the HUD - it was probably working all along for me (with gimp, etc). I didn't understand that you had to invoke the HUD with the ALT button instead of clicking on the icon at the top of the sidebar. So this part is working for me.

So as of now, everything is working on my wife's login. My login, however, none of the web app features work - no webapp icons in the sidebar, chromium doesn't prompt me when i visit webapp enabled sites (Gmail, twitter, facebook, last.fm, etc).

Beans

Ok, i thought I would get a fresh start, so I deleted the folowing configuration files:
    ~/.local/share/unity-webapps
    ~/.config/chromium
    ~/.config/google-chrome

Now I got last.fm to prompt for integration and it works. But gmail, twitter and facebook still don't prompt or work. How is this even possible???

Beans

Even more strange behavior.. I go to launchpad to do a bug report on this, and launchpad does in fact prompt for the integration, but the webapp extension crashes out. I tried several times and closed chromium in between, but it crashes every single time. Here is the error:

The crashed program seems to use third-party or local libraries:

/home/jondecker76/.config/chromium/Default/Extensions/pmoflmbbcfgacopiikdcpmbiellfihdg/2.4.2_0/libunity_npapi_plugin.so

It is highly recommended to check if the problem persists without those first.

Beans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast