Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Quantal (12.10) Known bugs and work arounds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Quantal (12.10) Know bugs and work arounds

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post

This is a thread for describing work-arounds and solutions for Known BUGS, AS THE TITLE SAYS.

bogan.
    Actually the title says it is for "Know bugs".

And since I find myself in the process of making a metacomment on this thread, could I also request that the "Known bugs" thread for the LTS version be restored. Many of us are still running it. After all LTS stands for "long term SUPPORT". The known bugs thread is a very useful form of support in my opinion. Why such haste to drop it?
    Life's a pitch. And then you sing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Please create your own new Thread, probably best in the Absolute Beginners forum, and give your set-up details, and which "partition programs" are affected.

This is a thread for describing work-arounds and solutions for Known BUGS, AS THE TITLE SAYS.

bogan.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawthornso23 View Post
    Actually the title says it is for "Know bugs".

And since I find myself in the process of making a metacomment on this thread, could I also request that the "Known bugs" thread for the LTS version be restored. Many of us are still running it. After all LTS stands for "long term SUPPORT". The known bugs thread is a very useful form of support in my opinion. Why such haste to drop it?
    Actually that is a typo: it should say Known and not Know. Go back to the very first post and read that.
    I was going to suggest that you open your own thread in the Absolute Beginners forum myself but Bogan beat me to it.

Here is the Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS thread:

Precise known bugs with workarounds

That should be made into a sticky so people can find it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Issue: labored Unity performance after Resume from Suspend with Radeon HD4550 GPU (RV710)
    Resolution: close any open programs and run sudo restart lightdm in a terminal.

My older ATI Radeon X1550 (RV505) does not appear to have the same issue.
    Last edited by pme 72; February 23rd, 2013 at 09:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Installing nvidia, fglrx drivers may produce an unusable desktop

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    There seems to be an issue on fresh & maybe upgrade installs when installing any of the nvidia-* drivers.(& probably also fglrx is the same
    linux-headers-generic (linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic) is not default installed & will not be installed when installing the nvidia-* package
    (I believe the dep is improperly satisfied by linux-headers which is default installed

This will cause the kernel module not to be built & when rebooting users will not get a fully working Desktop.

So before installing any of the nvidia drivers or fglrx best to -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    Edit:
    It's been decided not to adjust the nvidia-* or fglrx packages so people need to do as above or maybe complain on this bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1068488
    Thank you much mc4man! My quantal install went bad for some reason and I tried to do a clean install twice. The first time I did not see your post and lost the 1st attempt at a clean install.
    I had a 2nd unusable desktop.
    The 2nd time I installed linux-headers-generic, rebooted and installed nvidia-current-updates and all went well finally!
    I added my name to that bug and then it said it was a duplicate of this one:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1070427

So, I added my name to that one too. It said that it had been fixed in Precise and Raring but, in Quantal it has been Triaged.
    Now, I'll finally have my Quantal install back.

Beans

Post Re: Quantal (12.10) Known bugs and work arounds

When i installed the ubuntu gnome remix edition 12.10.1, there was no Ubuntu Software Centre and also the Software Updater and it was not possible to install the software through the terminal too.

SOLUTION :

sudo apt-get -f install

sudo apt-get update

After this i was able to install the ubuntu software centre through terminal

Beans

Re: Quantal (12.10) Known bugs and work arounds

HI all,

I am running into issues with Sandy Bridges GPU and system hang (every couple of hours especially when a several apps running at a time, usually Thunderbird and Firefox) and I have seen on the forums that a few others are getting the same issue. Apparently this is a known bug with Debian http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2012/01/msg00250.html but I can't seem to find anything with 12.10 and a workaround.

Is this a bug of 12.10 and is there a workaround, or am I best to install a different distro?
    Very noob here, so apologies if I am posting in wrong place or not giving right amount of info.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by CamPsych View Post
    HI all,

I am running into issues with Sandy Bridges GPU and system hang (every couple of hours especially when a several apps running at a time, usually Thunderbird and Firefox) and I have seen on the forums that a few others are getting the same issue. Apparently this is a known bug with Debian http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2012/01/msg00250.html but I can't seem to find anything with 12.10 and a workaround.

Is this a bug of 12.10 and is there a workaround, or am I best to install a different distro?
    Very noob here, so apologies if I am posting in wrong place or not giving right amount of info.

Cheers
    Sandy bridge with an Intel graphics card ?

If so then look towards the end of this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2127593

Check to see if you have the same graphics card (check the cards vendor id and device id and revision number) and are getting the same errors.

If so try out the proposed solution of updating the kernel.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Strange I have second generation icore 5 laptop and never ever faced this issue either with 12.04 or 12.10, I suggest you install two ppas namely x-swat and ppa glasen/intel-drivers which will install all the latest files for your intel Sandybridge card. Hopefully this will resolve all your issues. Do make sure you are running the latest BIOS.

Beans

Thanks will do

Beans

@matt_symes and @linuxisfast - seems that those fixed the issue that I was having, looks like a lot of other users here too the same with the amount of threads on same issues.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast