Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual-boot woes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dual-boot woes

I think gparted just defaults to MBR(msdos).

You have click on device, create partition table, and open the advanced and in the combo box choose gpt.

You can also format with gdisk which is the gpt version of fdisk. Once installed you should add gdisk and anytime you see instructions on running fdisk, run gdisk (but commands a somewhat different).

GPT fdisk Tutorial -srs5694 in forums
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1439794
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/download.html#obs
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by kathrync View Post
    The URL with the output is here http://paste.ubuntu.com/1287871/ if it is useful to anyone though.
    Your GRUB was booting Ubuntu correctly, you didn't have to change anything on the Ubuntu disk !

Please run Boot-Repair --> Advanced options --> Untick "Reinstall GRUB" --> tick "Restore efi backups" --> Apply
    Indicate the new URL that will appear.
    Then reboot, and setup your BIOS (UEFI firmware) to boot the "Windows" entry, and tell us if it boots Windows or not. (if not, your Windows efi file is broken, and you'll have to use a Windows disk to fix it).
    Last edited by YannBuntu; October 24th, 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ok, so I have re-partitioned sdb (the SSD with Ubuntu on) and reinstalled it, but still no joy with getting the dual boot to work.

I tried your suggestion as well, Yannbuntu. This was the output from that: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1308322/

At the moment I am booting Ubuntu ok but I can't boot Windows from the GRUB menu, or directly from sda.

Edited to add: Windows boots ok when sdb is removed from the box...

Any more help appreciated (and thanks for all the help already!)

K
    Last edited by kathrync; October 26th, 2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: new information

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

At the moment I am booting Ubuntu ok
    for information your BIOS is correctly setup to boot the HDD in UEFI mode.

but I can't boot Windows from the GRUB menu
    The default GRUB entry for Windows is invalid for UEFI. You can mark yourself "Affected" by this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1024383

or directly from sda.
    what do you mean? how do you try to "boot directly from sda" ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    what do you mean? how do you try to "boot directly from sda" ?
    My Ubuntu EFI partion is sdb1. Booting from here loads GRUB (which has a Windows entry but it doesn't work...I'll have a look at the link to the bug in a minute)

My Windows EFI partition is sda1. Booting from here loads Windows when sdb is not in the box, but returns an error when sdb is present.

By "booting directly from sda", I mean asking the computer to boot from sda using the "press escape to enter setup" boot menu rather than going into sdb/GRUB.

Sorry if that wasn't clear...my knowledge of the terminology isn't great!
    Last edited by kathrync; October 26th, 2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Trying to improve clarity!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Dual-boot woes

ok.
    The "press escape to enter setup" boot menu is indeed your UEFI firmware (~BIOS).

When entering the BIOS to boot Windows, is there something you change or select in your BIOS?

Please could you show pictures of your BIOS ? (especially the "boot order" screen)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yann,
    kathrync still has the old grub Windows entry (incorrect one) and you have the updates that you add to put in a correct Windows entry. Does not grub menu just need the correct entries or is the correct entry different when it is to a different drive?
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Yann and oldfred:

Thanks for all the help guys, I wouldn't have known where to start without it!

This morning, I put sdb back in the box, and Windows still boots. I don't know what changed overnight, but at least I know that both the EFI partitions are functional now.

So, if I set boot order to sda first, it goes straight to Windows
    If I set boot order to sdb first it goes to GRUB, where I can get to Ubuntu but the Windows entry in GRUB doesn't work.

Yann, I haven't permanently changed anything in my UEFI firmware. There is a setup menu I can enter where I can change the default boot order, but I have left that alone (it is currently set to sdb first as I use Ubuntu more than Windows). There is also something that they are calling a boot menu, which allows me to set something else as the priority as a one-time event. I am currently using this to get to Windows when I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Yann,
    kathrync still has the old grub Windows entry (incorrect one) and you have the updates that you add to put in a correct Windows entry. Does not grub menu just need the correct entries or is the correct entry different when it is to a different drive?
    oldfred: I think you are right with the above. It looks like the Windows entry in my Grub menu is incorrect and I think that's the only thing that's still non-functional. From the bug link that yann sent me yesterday it looks like boot-repair is solving this issue for most people, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. I suspect this is because I am running the two OSs off separate drives and not on partitions within the same drive which is what everyone else seems to be doing.

If someone could walk me through adding the correct entry manually (yeah, sorry, I'm being a noob again), we could see if that works??

K

Beans

I'll quickly step in here for a sec ....

If you need to manually change something in grub, maybe "Grub Customizer" will help. Its in the software center and has a nice gui.

Stepping back out again ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have not paid close enough to details of the efi chain load entires Boot-Repair adds. The one's that grub2 automatically add are a known bug in the os-prober as it finds the Windows boot partition and just adds a standard MBR type boot entry.

Some of the standard entries have just a search for efi partition which you now have two of which can be an issue.

I have this in my notes. The UUID has to be the UUID of the efi partition with the Windows efi files. And the set root = entry has to be the drive & partition or hd0 is first drive and gpt1 is first partition or sda1.

Use this to find your partition & UUID:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list

Code:
    menuentry "Windows 7 UEFI" {
      insmod part_gpt
      insmod fat
      insmod search_fs_uuid
      insmod chain
      set root='(hd0,gpt1)'
      search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 4f84-ee2e
      chainloader (${root})/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    }
    Not sure if you copy Windows efi files to Ubuntu efi, if then a standard efi boot would work as Windows BCD is supposed to tell it what partition has Windows and to boot from.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast