Thread: Disk boot failure after Ubuntu install

Beans

Disk boot failure after Ubuntu install

Hello,

I got an really old pc (512mb ram) from an friend to set it up new. It took 2days to boot, but worked lol. Windows XP was on it, but after backuping all data I trashed it.
    Now I booted into CloneZilla and installed my prepared image of Peppermint OS. I tested it beforehand on another PC and the image is working. It finished cloning without problems.

Now, when I boot it says "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter". Great.

I removed the bios battery, load the defaults and tried different configurations in my bios. Checked the cables. Everytime I get the same error.

So maybe the MBR is defect. I booted into Ubuntu Live CD. My HDH is recognized just fine, I can browse my files perfectly.
    I ran boot-repair, but no change.

Here's the report: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1286752/

I'm clueless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Disk boot failure after Ubuntu install

Quote Originally Posted by SPK201 View Post
    maybe the MBR is defect. I booted into Ubuntu Live CD. My HDH is recognized just fine, I can browse my files perfectly.
    Did you try running grub-install from the live cd? This installs the bootloader into the mbr and fixes many start issues:

sudo su
    mkdir /media/host
    mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /media/host
    grub-install --root-directory=/media/host /dev/sda

then restart, try to boot from primary hard drive

Beans

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

No, I didn't. I'll try that later today.

The PC only has one harddrive. The harddrive definitely works, it boots fine on another PC. What else could it be? The HDD is recognized by the old PC, but just won't boot, so I guess the motherboard isn't guilty either... maybe it's because the BIOS is too old?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Starcruiser322 View Post
    Did you try running grub-install from the live cd? This installs the bootloader into the mbr and fixes many start issues:

sudo su
    mkdir /media/host
    mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /media/host
    grub-install --root-directory=/media/host /dev/sda

then restart, try to boot from primary hard drive
    Yo,

thank you... now it enters grub2 command line!!! One big step in the right direction.

I tried to boot as described here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...57&postcount=4

But it fails at point 7. If I ls the directory (hd0,1)/ it shows vmlinuz, but it's no directory.
    It keeps telling "Error: file not found.".

Guess, I will fire up my live cd once again, even though it takes hours because it's so freaking slow. Repairing grub from their seems easier.

UPDATE: Installing Fedora 17 works ootb. I don't know why, but I don't really care... it's working and that's good.
    Thanks for your help anyway!
    Last edited by SPK201; October 20th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.