Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: wired says connected but can't connect to the internet

Beans

wired says connected but can't connect to the internet

Hey. First time posting and very confused. My old PC had a motherboard problem, so I placed my hard drive into another similar model desktop PC. However I started having trouble connecting to the internet. Kept coming up that the connection was active but dns server not found (or firefox not found... something like that). Thought it might be RAM problems or old ubuntu issues, so we reinstalled with an ubuntu disk the 11.10 version - wiping the hard drive.

I started coming up with a series of different types of errors. Ranging from "failed to fetch...something wicked happened resolving... no address associated with host name" to "squash error unable to read fragment cashe entry unable to read page…. Page block 24b1475, ae2d" to "Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is depreciated because it may not enable some interfaces. Reconfiguring network interfaces" (different codes coming up as my partner is trying to enter code to figure out what the problem is.)

We need help to connect to the internet and also find out if there is something wrong or missing from our computer. We are connected manually. But we really want it to come up automatically as: Automatic dhcp.
    We used the ipv4 and put the ip address in and submask in, clicked “ignored”, it says eth0, says driver 3c59x.

We did an iconfig and this is what came up (some of the numbers were changed slightly for privacy).

Please help. Thanks to all.

eth0 Link encap; Ethernet HWaddr 90:fb:ab:e2:2a:cd
    inet addr:127.0.0.1
    bcast: 158.255.255.255 mask: 255.0.0.0
    inet6addr: du70::3b0:M0ff:gidc:7029/62
    scope:link
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 metric:1
    RX packets:6 errors:10 dropped:0 overruns:15 frame:0
    TX packets:48 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:8 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:420(420.0 B) TX bytes:9591(9.5kb)
    Interrupt:11. Base address: 0xec00

lo Link encap: Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:384 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:384 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:289440(28.9kb) TX bytes:289440(28.9kb)

Beans

Re: wired says connected but can't connect to the internet

Your eth0 IP address is incorrect, it's pointing to your localhost.
    You can try sudo dhclient eth0 to try and get an IP address dynamically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by paulocr View Post
    Your eth0 IP address is incorrect, it's pointing to your localhost.
    You can try sudo dhclient eth0 to try and get an IP address dynamically.
    Did paulocr's suggestion fix the issue for you?

Beans

Hey Paul

are you referring to the inet address?

While waiting for you response, I will try sudo dhclient eth0 and post.

Also, when you say dynamically, what are you referring to exactly (sorry for the learning curve here)

Thanks.

Beans

Hi Paul, we tried sudo dhclient eth0 and nothing happened.

In the network connections, what should we have? Manual or DHClient? In order for us to get a wired connection, we have been going in manually. And even though we are connected, when trying firefox it says server not found. When we put it in as automatic DHCP, then the connection goes out completely.

We are still under manual.
    Also, we have nothing under DNS server. We're under eth0. There is a box that says require IP addressing for this connection to complete (we did not click it). Another box that says "connect authomatically" (we clicked on that). Another box that says "available to all users" (we did not click that)
    Under roots ,we didn't put anything there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have deleted your thread in the other forum. For future reference, please note:

Quote Originally Posted by Code of Conduct
    Do not cross post, or post the same thing in multiple locations.
    Duplicate posting is not encouraged and bump your thread after twenty four hours if you're getting lonely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Open Network Manager, Edit Connections. In the IPV4 tab, you have it set to 'Automatic' for DHCP and 'Connect Automatically'?

Are you plugged into a router and is that getting internet fine?

Please give the result of:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C network

Beans

Sorry. Completely new to this and trying to figure our way around the forums. So are we keeping the thread in this forum section or the Newcomer forum section?

Beyond that... any suggestions out there? I feel like I'm going crazy. I can't understand why we aren't getting a server. Before it would just automatically come on with the wired connection, no problem.

Right now, I am trying to install a windows os (even though I have no intention of keeping it, just going back to ubuntu afterwards, and doing it to think if the XP would allow the internect connection or if it is a hardware issue). I'll probably install ubuntu 11.10 immediately after, so if anyone has any codes to use, please let me know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    I have deleted your thread in the other forum. For future reference, please note:

Duplicate posting is not encouraged and bump your thread after twenty four hours if you're getting lonely.
    Continue with this one. The other is no longer.

PS: Did you read post #8? You haven't responded to it.

Beans

Hey Bucky. There is no wireless where I am so basically the connection goes from the wall into the box and the ethernet cord goes into the computer.

In my former computer, I would just plug the ethernet cord in and it would automatically come up. With the computer change, the automatic did not work. The settings in ip4 were "connect automatically" automatic for dhcp.

The only way I got the eth0 to show as being connected, was to put manual numbers in. But when I try to go onto firefox, it comes back as server not found and that there is no internet connection.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast