Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Post

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Unhappy Offensive Post

Those who post offensive post must pay a price other than simply having the offensive post moved into jail

The other day I came upon an offensive post where the party making the offensive post completly took anothers post out of contex. The offensive poster attacked the with a most offensive word. I reported the offensive poster and the offensive post was quickly moved to jail. I believed there must stronger penalties for those who bring such low level of civility to Ubuntu Forums.

I submit; Suspension of posting privilege be the reward for those who cannot conduct thereselves in the spirit of Ubuntu. Perhaps thirty day suspension period of posting privileges would be a good place to start; First offenders. Also, I strongly urge we start with the individule who posted this unjust and vulgar post.
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Offensive Post

Moving the post to the jail and reporting poster is enough.
    You have to remember the mailing lists and the forums are tied together, this would put a hugh strain on the admin staff. Ignoring such ppl also would be a good thing. all and all, the ubuntu community are some stand up ppl.
    IBM T42: Centrino 1.6Ghz - 2GB ram - 60GB HD - Ubuntu 8.04
    Dell Poweredge 420: P4 HT 2.6Ghz - 1GB ram - 1.5TB Array - Ubuntu 6.10
    Registered Linux User No: 420249 - "That won't work!" - n00b user "Yeah it will, pass me the duct tape." - MoD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You'll find the staff here are pretty forgiving of offenses.

Usually what happens is the offending post gets moved to the Jail. If the post-er becomes a repeat offender, she gets a private message warning from one of the staff. If the situation remains unchanged, the post-er may get a temporary ban. The last resort is a permanent ban.

Exceptions get made for extreme cases, of course.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Unhappy Offensive Post

I appoligize for making this post here, however, I feel so strongly about this subject I'm willing to be chastised for my action.

Those who post offensive post must pay a price other than simply having the offensive post moved into jail

The other day I came upon an offensive post where the party making the offensive post completly took anothers post out of contex. The offensive poster attacked the with a most offensive word. I reported the offensive poster and the offensive post was quickly moved to jail. I believed there must be stronger penalties for those who bring such low level of civility to Ubuntu Forums.

I submit; Suspension of posting privilege be the reward for those who cannot conduct thereselves in the spirit of Ubuntu. Perhaps thirty day suspension period of posting privileges would be a good place to start; First offenders. Also, I strongly urge we start with the individule who posted this unjust and vulgar post.
    Last edited by enyaw; July 1st, 2006 at 07:10 PM.
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

yea, really does go against the whole ubuntu philosophy.
    i second the motive to suspend, although i think a month is a lil too long. perhaps a week?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thumbs up Re: Offensive Post

Quote Originally Posted by uzi09
    yea, really does go against the whole ubuntu philosophy.
    i second the motive to suspend, although i think a month is a lil too long. perhaps a week?
    Your suggestion for an one week supension I believe would make the point, and that Ubuntu expects a high level of conduct on its forums. Thank you uzi09
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

You might want to post your complaint/suggestion in the Resolution Center.

That seems to be one of the uses in its guidelines:

What should be posted here?
    1. If you wish to have a thread removed from the jail post and explain why.
    2. If you have a complaint about abuse/harrassment from a forum member or staff.
    3. If there is a pending forum issue that isn't being handled correctly by forum staff.
    4. If you do not believe a staff member's actions were in line with the Forum Guideline

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by T700
    You might want to post your complaint/suggestion in the Resolution Center.
    That would certainly be the best place for the suggestion.

If I move this thread there, however, only the original poster and admins can participate in it. So, what I'm going to do is suggest the OP make a new thread in the Resolution Center and move this one to the Cafe.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thumbs up Re: Offensive Post

Quote Originally Posted by matthew
    That would certainly be the best place for the suggestion.

If I move this thread there, however, only the original poster and admins can participate in it. So, what I'm going to do is suggest the OP make a new thread in the Resolution Center and move this one to the Cafe.
    Thank you Matthew for your help.
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

this idea certainly would make the forums a nicer place. make people think twice about trash talking someone else
    DO NOT run any command that contains rm in it unless you know what it does. The intentions of some people are malicious; tu ne cede malis! more information.
    registered [linux user: #422056] [ubuntu user: #19016]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast