Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thumbs down Re: Offensive Post

Quote Originally Posted by rcarring
    I believe that fair comment is allowable. If a users posts that they did a certain thing to their computer and as a result it no longer worked, it could be permissible for someone to post a reply to say that they did a stupid thing and offer some assistance. That surely is fair comment? On the other hand calling somone a rude word shouldn't be tolerated.
    Why would not: Sorry you made an error in judgement or something similar, which would be considerably less insulting than referring to someones techinical mistake as a stupid thing. Has the English language deteriorated to such degree that one finds it impossible to communicate without using insulting remarks.
    Last edited by enyaw; July 2nd, 2006 at 08:59 PM.
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Re: Offensive Post

I occasionally find references to "Ubuntu Burnt Beans".
    One assumes they are people who have been warned repeatedly by the Moderators to no avail. When one posts I already have advance warning that there could be trouble. Could we not have different levels of burnt beans?
    G*d knows what, but this could be less labour-intensive than other suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by enyaw
    Well in the heat of my disgust for the offensive post, which took me to the point where I posted on the wrong forum, [to make my disgust known to the widest Ubuntu audience ], I failed to realize that perhaps the established Ubuntu Forum system has in place an adequate remedy for such outrageuos behaviour.

I would hope Ubuntu Forum managers would exercise zero tolerance for bad and insulting behaviour on Ubuntu Forums. Swift and meaningful punishment must given those who would take civil discourse into their own gutter of bad manners.
    I'm all for a civil and moderated forum, but let's remember that this is an internet forum. Maybe having cut my teeth on Usenet I'm just jaded, but I've yet to feel any "heat of...disgust for [an] offensive post," or wish for "Swift and meaningful punishment...." for someone acting out in a thread.

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Why would not: Sorry you made an error in judgement or something similar, which would be considerably less insulting than referring to someones techinical mistake as a stupid thing. Has the English language deteriorated to such degree that one finds it impossible to communicate without using insulting remarks.
    Oh. I was under the impression that people who post on bulletin boards were fairly thick skinned. I have posted on some pretty rough boards, and i mean rough, and for someone to say "well mate that was a bit stupid, maybe we can get you out of your pickle eh?" would be taken as mild admonishment but the fact that they offer help would moderate the impact of their previous comment.

I think that sometimes people don't realize that the person saying "stupid" may be saying so with a big smile, in much the same way as my sysadmin once did when I trashed my work pc by trying to install a program.

If someone calls me stupid then clearly I am stupid.

I would hesitate to insult anyone here, I mean why would I?

I used to post on alt.wing-commander and I recall one poster called "God" really got on everyone's nerves and was called an idiot for the persistent bs that they posted, thus leading to the famous (or infamous) line from someone that "God was an idiot". Bizarre but true.

From many years of admining and modding boards I would say this: never take anything so seriously that you get upset by what has been said. I mean Ubuntu is supposed to be fun and all =D
    Ubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Ubuntu 5.10 / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu Edgy Alpha / VM 128 10
    Get SeaMonkey
    Registered Linux User No: 416960

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thumbs up Re: Offensive Post

Quote Originally Posted by Biltong (Dee)
    I occasionally find references to "Ubuntu Burnt Beans".
    One assumes they are people who have been warned repeatedly by the Moderators to no avail. When one posts I already have advance warning that there could be trouble. Could we not have different levels of burnt beans?
    G*d knows what, but this could be less labour-intensive than other suggestions.
    I believe the suggestion may have much possibility. The Ubuntu community would then be aware of those offenders and ostracize such offenders simply by not considering their post. The "burnt beans" stigma could be used as an probationary tool and removed after a period of good behavior

This action of course should be in addition to the more severe penalty of jail and with the possibility of complete stripping of posting privilege.
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Oh. I was under the impression that people who post on bulletin boards were fairly thick skinned. I have posted on some pretty rough boards, and i mean rough, and for someone to say "well mate that was a bit stupid, maybe we can get you out of your pickle eh?" would be taken as mild admonishment but the fact that they offer help would moderate the impact of their previous comment.

I think that sometimes people don't realize that the person saying "stupid" may be saying so with a big smile, in much the same way as my sysadmin once did when I trashed my work pc by trying to install a program.

I used to post on alt.wing-commander and I recall one poster called "God" really got on everyone's nerves and was called an idiot for the persistent bs that they posted, thus leading to the famous (or infamous) line from someone that "God was an idiot". Bizarre but true.

From many years of admining and modding boards I would say this: never take anything so seriously that you get upset by what has been said. I mean Ubuntu is supposed to be fun and all =D
    I'm for fun and fun for me is much more enjoyable when everyone enjoys it.
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans

I don't recall seing anything offensive on Ubuntu forums.
    In general I think people should be able to walk the line.
    Usually if someone is impolite, it's enough to steer them straight.
    Explaining to them where they went wrong.

We do need moderators, but the word should be as free as possible.

I live in Denmark, a country with free speech to the extreme.
    You can legally make propaganda for comunism, even nazi propaganda.
    Both are legal parties, but they have absolutely no political influence in Denmark, and they have no influence in the political debate.

Denmark has much less problems with right wing fanatics than countries around us, that has regulations making comunism and nazism illegal, and has active policies to fight those type of organisations.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloX
    I don't recall seing anything offensive on Ubuntu forums.
    In general I think people should be able to walk the line.
    Usually if someone is impolite, it's enough to steer them straight.
    Explaining to them where they went wrong.

We do need moderators, but the word should be as free as possible.

I live in Denmark, a country with free speech to the extreme.
    You can legally make propaganda for comunism, even nazi propaganda.
    Both are legal parties, but they have absolutely no political influence in Denmark, and they have no influence in the political debate.

Denmark has much less problems with right wing fanatics than countries around us, that has regulations making comunism and nazism illegal, and has active policies to fight those type of organisations.
    I agree with. I do not like the policy "trespassers will be prossecuted" (this is an analogy). I think the present forum policy works very well. It's much more pedagogic, constructive and ultimately more positive to the forums than the proposed by the OP. This is my view of things.
    Last edited by henriquemaia; July 6th, 2006 at 06:17 PM.

RavenOfOdin Guest

Agreed completely and totally.

Beans

Those who post offensive post must pay a price other than simply having the offensive post moved into jail
    When we looked at the forum software upgrade process, one of the things that stood out to us is that we wanted a ticket or infraction system so that people that abuse others and do not follow the guidelines would have instant feedback regarding those actions.

When we upgrade, we will be implementing the new infraction system as has been stated previously by ubuntu-geek. This should provide a much easier system for moderation by giving the staff more tools to use - and it will have the benefit of letting people that break the rules know immediately that their actions are unacceptable.

By giving all staff these new tools to use, I think we will be able to more effectively deal with the rubbish that all popular forums have.
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast