Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Post

RavenOfOdin Guest

Re: Offensive Post

I made a post about the Vietnam War as compared to Iraq once, and I couldn't see any logical reason for it being jailed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by azz
    O who is to decide what is naughty? I
    That why we have moderators,they are third parties and apply the Forum rules.

As for reducing privilages , hmmm either temp ban or perm ban seems to work best.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ
    Yes, but deciding what is considered offensive is not something that can always be determined by a few rules. Like I said - it is subjective.

As for reducing privilages , hmmm either temp ban or perm ban seems to work best.
    Are there finer-grained methods available? A ban is all-or-nothing. For example, if someone is really pushing buttons in the backyard, can their write priviledges to the backyard be suspended for a period of time?

The advantage to that is in a situation where a conflict is happeneing between two people. If one of the two is banned, the staff end up picking sides and the banning escalates the particular user's anger. If both users' write priviledges (to a small part of the forum where the conflict is happening) are suspended until they can work it out in the resolution center (or elsewhere), that can serve to *diminish* the frustrations instead of increasing them.

Call it reconcilatory probation, I guess.

In the meantime, they are not "shunned" from the forums.

In any collaborative project, people can dissagree and tensions can mount because people are passionate. We see this all the time in Ubuntu since it evokes a lot of pride, satisfaction, political awareness, etc. It would be elegant to have methods to bring people back to earth instead of losing them from the community just because they took a particular situation past a certain point - once.

RavenOfOdin Guest

Are there finer-grained methods available? A ban is all-or-nothing. For example, if someone is really pushing buttons in the backyard, can their write priviledges to the backyard be suspended for a period of time?
    Things which would need to be put in include:

Timestamping (for length of suspension time)
    Privilege checks which can be corroborated with a particular forum section (simple versions of this come with a default phpBB install)
    Comment field (to put reason for change in)

etc etc.

then you'd have to modify the current user databases to take the new changes into account.

I don't think it can be done without developing a mod or extension, which would make forum admin duty twice the pain in the *** that it regularly is, unless you contract someone to write it up.
    Last edited by RavenOfOdin; July 2nd, 2006 at 02:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenOfOdin
    Things which would need to be put in include:

Timestamping (for length of suspension time)
    Privilege checks which can be corroborated with a particular forum section (simple versions of this come with a default phpBB install)
    Comment field (to put reason for change in)

etc etc.

then you'd have to modify the current user databases to take the new changes into account.

I don't think it can be done without developing a mod or extension, which would make forum admin duty twice the pain in the *** that it regularly is, unless you contract someone to write it up.
    When I was a Super-Moderator, I seem to remember that I was able to remove access to one (or more) section(s) from a user. Timestamps would not be in use, since the lifting of the restrictions is contigent on conflict resolution - which can be lengthy or fast.

The forums use vBuletin, not phpBB.

Beans

We have in the past taken away privillages to certain areas only to have the individual start posting the same stuff in other areas. The end result is them being banned anyway.

But yes it is an option that is considered.
    This account is not active.

Beans

When I was a Super-Moderator, I seem to remember that I was able to remove access to one (or more) section(s) from a user. Timestamps would not be in use, since the lifting of the restrictions is contigent on conflict resolution - which can be lengthy or fast.

The forums use vBuletin, not phpBB.
    Correct, its not the best and most efficient way to handle the situation either. When we upgrade to the next release of vbulletin which I have been testing for a week now there will be a new infraction system to help moderators be a little more subjective when it comes to offensive users. Rather then just banning a giving a warning a stern system is in place to trak offenders and limit access without actually banning.

Feel free to check out the vb website with the details of that new addition, it really rocks.

Random information here, last I knew (about 2 months ago) the forums had far less bans then the IRC channels..
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Well in the heat of my disgust for the offensive post, which took me to the point where I posted on the wrong forum, [to make my disgust known to the widest Ubuntu audience ], I failed to realize that perhaps the established Ubuntu Forum system has in place an adequate remedy for such outrageuos behaviour.

I would hope Ubuntu Forum managers would exercise zero tolerance for bad and insulting behaviour on Ubuntu Forums. Swift and meaningful punishment must given those who would take civil discourse into their own gutter of bad manners.
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I believe that fair comment is allowable. If a users posts that they did a certain thing to their computer and as a result it no longer worked, it could be permissible for someone to post a reply to say that they did a stupid thing and offer some assistance. That surely is fair comment? On the other hand calling somone a rude word shouldn't be tolerated.
    Ubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Ubuntu 5.10 / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu Edgy Alpha / VM 128 10
    Get SeaMonkey
    Registered Linux User No: 416960

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I made a post about the Vietnam War as compared to Iraq once, and I couldn't see any logical reason for it being jailed.
    I expect the forum prefers to remain politically neutral. My jokey post on another forum here was a joke and not some clever point on the politics of the USA.
    Ubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Ubuntu 5.10 / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu 6.06 LTS / VM 128 10 :: Xubuntu Edgy Alpha / VM 128 10
    Get SeaMonkey
    Registered Linux User No: 416960

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast