Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NAS / Media server

Beans

NAS / Media server

Total noob here- I have a spare laptop with 1TB hdd that I want to set up as a home NAS for my photos etc, but also be able to stream video to my PS3.

I tried freeNAS but couldn't get miniDLNA to work and the plugins were confusing.

I have read that Ubuntu would be a good option for this. Should I run it from a 16GB USB stick - how would I do this?

Can I close the laptop lid and leave this set up and running 24/7?

What do I need to install? Mediatomb / Serviio / Plex/ PS3 media server.

I would want to run SABnzbd also from the NAS. Could you drop a NZB into a folder and it would download and extract on the NAS.

I want to be able to access the share from windows PCs too. Does this require anything special to be done?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Beans

Re: NAS / Media server

Plex is cross-platform and easy to set-up. And, if you have a Roku on your TV, you can view your photos, videos, etc on your TV.

Beans

Thanks - so do you know how to install a persistent copy of Ubuntu onto a usb stick.
    I don't even know how to install stuff in Ubuntu - I take it you don't double-click an exe like windows.

I read something about SAMBA - is this something I need to install so I can access my shares from a windows PC and darg and drop files over to it. I want to map my 1TB HDD as a network drive.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

chadwell;

Hi ! welcome to the forum.

Be advised that ubuntu server is an excellent choice, Ready for service instantly upon installations.
    Do a google search on "nas server ubuntu". You will find that there is a huge amount of support for server applications. May take some doing to get it operational with a closed lid situation....others can better advise.
    hth <==BDQ

edit: installation=> Download .iso, burn to cd, set bios to boot from cd, insert install cd(called a Live CD), install ..it is that simple// partitioning and set up before hand may be advisable (depending on your needs) ..simple answer/way,=> do a simple install: look at what you have, determine what you would prefer different: and re-install.. (be advised that with ubuntu and GOOD BACK-UPS one can not mess up too bad)
    Last edited by Bashing-om; September 3rd, 2012 at 05:04 PM.

Beans

But the server edition does not have a GUI so for a noob like me I'm not sure how I would be able to set it up and configure it, and install software like Plex etc!

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by chadwell View Post
    But the server edition does not have a GUI so for a noob like me I'm not sure how I would be able to set it up and configure it, and install software like Plex etc!

Thanks
    It doesn't start with a GUI, but you could add one. Or you could use something like Webmin to administer it remotely through a browser.

To install software in Ubuntu:
    • On the desktop version: open Ubuntu Software Centre and search, then click install
    • On the server, type:
      Code:
      sudo aptitude
      then enter your password to get yourself a reasonably friendly command-line package manager

Beans

So :

1. any ideas how to install and run off a usb stick? Can you use one of the programs of pendrive linux, but will this be a dedicated install

2. Will this see my 1TB drive?

3. How do I share it across windows and network?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So :

1. any ideas how to install and run off a usb stick? Can you use one of the programs of pendrive linux, but will this be a dedicated install
    as mentioned before you run install and when you come to where you want to install it you choose USB drive/stick. You need to also put the grub boot manager on it.

Code:

sudo apt-get install programme
    enter password. and that's it. its that easy to install in ubuntu CLI.
    as mentioned you can add desktop to it but that is a bit unusal for a nas device. if oyu need it use somehting light on resources such as IceWM, jwm or LXDE.

it would make more sense to administer it from other maschines via web interface.

yes.
    you install samba and configure it (if necessary).
    as in

Code:

sudo apt-get install samba
    afetr that you should be able to see the shares from windows. make sure you are in the same user group.

also since you like GUI and preconfigured stuff you might want to give Openmedia vault a try. it's based on Debian (on which Ubuntu is also based) and preconfigured for NAS.

as in ubuntu it's preety easy to add stuff to it.

BTW notebook hard disks aren't made for durability. they seem to break even more often that desktop disks.
    Last edited by mastablasta; September 4th, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

So :

There are instructions for this on the download page.

Yup. Of course.

The easiest way to share to Windows machines is to use the Microsoft networking protocol SMB/CIFS. Both Linux and Windows can use it.

You'll need to install Samba on your server. If you've got a GUI you can do this from a right click on the appropriate folder, if you're running a a server then you woudl configure it by editing the /etc/samba/smb.conf file.

Beans

Thank you both - assuming I do not have a cd drive on my laptop - then how do I install to usb>?

Could I have 2 usbs, one a bootable linux drive and use it to install to the other USB>?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast