Thread: Using Ubuntu to Unlock a mobile / cellular 'phone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Using Ubuntu to Unlock a mobile / cellular 'phone.

I've recently been looking for software which unlocks mobile / cell 'phones and found a couple of forum posts which had been closed by over enthusiastic moderators.

First of all, unlocking a mobile phone is not illegal in any country that I can find, and most mobile telecoms companies will give the unlock code, for a fee!

Secondly, this thread is Ubuntu related, as I am looking for software than will run on Ubuntu and is preferably Open Source.

So, if anyone knows of anyone who's written something that can unlock a mobile and will run on Ubuntu, please post a link here.

If you don't (and searches on the internet don't show much, so that is most people), then please just move on and don't feel compelled to try any be annoying, unless you have something useful to add.

Cheers all,

Jack

Beans

Re: Using Ubuntu to Unlock a mobile / cellular 'phone.

Why try unlocking your phone? there is software to hook up your phone to the computer (look for WACOM graphics tablet) but i don't think it matters too much just jailbreak it or port ubuntu to the phone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks, I'll have a look. Jailbreaking it might well be an option and there are several guides on how to do this on line.

I would have preferred a quick and simple option, since I'd like to be able to offer a quick(ish) and cheap service to my customers.

Software must exist to produce unlock codes from the phones imei number, as a number of companies offer this service (at fairly extortionate cost). Possibly an application that could be run from a command line on Ubuntu (?).

Beans

you mean unlocking or rooting? for unlocking you can just buy a code for around $10 or suffer through customer service begging for a code. for rooting usually it can be done just with a terminal
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, jailbreak, root, and unlock are three very different things and don't relate to one another. Android is pre-jailbroken (well, it's a tick in Settings,) iPhone can't be rooted, and neither one helps you unlocking, which is converting a GSM phone over to a different carrier.
    Last edited by Copper Bezel; October 17th, 2012 at 04:47 AM.