Thread: Which Ubuntu distro will work best?

Beans

Post Which Ubuntu distro will work best?

Hello, I'm new to these forums. I wish to ask you which Ubuntu variation will work best on my 11-12 year old computer. Specs as follows:

Sony VAIO PCV-RS222
    Windows XP SP3 Home Premium 32 bit
    AMD Athlon XP
    512MB RAM

I want a version that has the basics (a version of word, powerpoint and excel) and is nice to use. Ubuntu and Xubuntu are my top 2, but I have only looked at those and Lubuntu.

My computer is running really slow, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Which Ubuntu distro will work best?

I think Lubuntu should be OK on that: from here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu it says ...

"We have done many tests and we found out that Lubuntu can be installed on a Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM, but such a system would not perform well enough for daily use.

With 256MB - 384MB of RAM, the performance will be better and the system will be more usable.

With 512MB of RAM, you don't need to worry much.

The default "Desktop" installer requires 384-800 MB of RAM (depending on selected options.)"

You'll get LibreOffice which is compatible with Word, Power Point etc.

Beans
    Hidden!

With 512 mb almost any distro will work, albeit slowly if you are using programs with a lot of graphics
    gaming, etc.

Libre office is a great program, I use it even on my windows 7 laptop.
    Last edited by offgridguy; October 16th, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: afterthought

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I agree that Lubuntu is the one to go for.

It looks and acts like an older gnome (or even winXP) desktop, with a single panel, and you can use any of the packages from the ubuntu repos. It does not have libreoffice by default, but gives yu gnumeric and abiword, but I have added LO to my Lubuntu on a similar Acer laptop, and whilst not a very speedy runner, it is certainly very usable and a great OS.

Beans

Smile Re: Which Ubuntu distro will work best?

Thank you for the replies.

I shall be waiting until Christmas to see if I get a new PC, but if I don't then I shall certainly be considering installing Lubuntu.