It's about this specification for Edgy :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommonCustomizations

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Thumbs up Re: A open letter to the Ubuntu community re: Automatix

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    No one has actually explained what's wrong with my pasta analogy..
    Because your cooker doesn't produce a spaghetti which is "al dente."

aysiu...thank you...I love this...Hee!
    Regards
    Compaq DeskPro Warrior

Beans

Re: A open letter to the Ubuntu community re: Automatix

installing extra codecs is not nearly as difficult as installing car parts...
    Depends on who you ask on that one

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, of course. If you ask the right person, you can get her to say that reading a column in a newspaper is more difficult than starting a fire with two rocks and one stick... maybe an illiterate girl scout.

From an empirical standpoint, clicking a few things with the mouse is easier to do as a task than installing a new timing belt.

Naturally, if you're a car mechanic who hates computers, you'll think the latter is easier. If you're a computer science major who rides only bicycles, then you'll think the former is easier.

I'm talking about for someone who's not intitiated in either task. And, if you mess up installing codecs, the worst that could happen is you get some error that you can't play back some media file. If you mess up installing a car part, your car could explode and kill you and nearby pedestrians.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Well, of course. If you ask the right person, you can get her to say that reading a column in a newspaper is more difficult than starting a fire with two rocks and one stick... maybe an illiterate girl scout.

From an empirical standpoint, clicking a few things with the mouse is easier to do as a task than installing a new timing belt.

Naturally, if you're a car mechanic who hates computers, you'll think the latter is easier. If you're a computer science major who rides only bicycles, then you'll think the former is easier.

I'm talking about for someone who's not intitiated in either task. And, if you mess up installing codecs, the worst that could happen is you get some error that you can't play back some media file. If you mess up installing a car part, your car could explode and kill you and nearby pedestrians.
    Installing a timing belt is rediculously easy. I would rate it as about the same as installing codecs I think that is a very fitting analogy as people who do not have interest in working on their cars go to mechanics and have no complain whatsoever about it needing specialized knowledge. On computers however for some reason people expect to know all the under the hood stuff without taking the time to learn. I agree that USING a computer should be as easy as driving a car (which still requires learning) but to expect to be versed in under the hood things w/o any learning.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I guess being both a motor head and a Linux geek I have no right to say which one would be easier
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'll change an air filter. Now that's certainly easier than installing codecs!

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I'll change an air filter. Now that's certainly easier than installing codecs!
    Not on my Buick (the damn thing is by the front wheel down there somewhere).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

hmmm.... think it's getting hot here....

as a newbie, i'll be glad if i can get answers on "newbie's" language. no this this this or that that that... kinda confusing for me, mostly when it's my first linux experience.

so, i think we must let newbies understand that linux (any distro) is about "a world of choices". many choices and many you can have.

once they have it in their mind, i don't think that these automatix,easyubuntu,bumps,aptitude thing should become a problem. they'll find which one makes them comfortable with...

on my first dapper (and linux! can you believe it?) experience (been 3 weeks now), i give easyubuntu a shot (because there is ubuntu in it's name, hahahah...), now, automatix, i haven't try bumps yet, but i still wondering why aptitude is much more comfortable for me and use automatix for something i don't know yet to find it's "terminal code".... cause it makes me "learn" and i love to learn

btw, aysiu..... what is mephis and what you mean by "installing code "out of box"" ?????

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast