Thread: Dell OEM Partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Dell OEM Partition

I have a Dell laptop and I want to dual boot it with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. Currently there are 3 partitions, OS, Recovery, and a 33mb fat16 partition. I want to keep the first two, is it safe to delete the extra 33mb partition. Is it supposed to be a boot partition that will make my computer unbootable. I am manually partitioning and I will make a /boot primary partition and a extended / and swap partitions. So is safe to delete it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Dell OEM Partition

That partition contains a DOS system and diagnostic tools. If you have your drivers and utilities disc you can use that instead. I would back it up using dd first

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cool110 View Post
    That partition contains a DOS system and diagnostic tools. If you have your drivers and utilities disc you can use that instead. I would back it up using dd first
    Well I have the CD's, so can I just delete it in the Ubuntu partitioner and everything will be fine?(as in, Windows will still boot?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Go ahead Windows doesn't use it at all, the only side effect will be the diagnostics boot option failing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cool110 View Post
    Go ahead Windows doesn't use it at all, the only side effect will be the diagnostics boot option failing.
    Well I never use the diagnostics anyways and as long as my computer boots up I'm fine. Thanks for all the help