Thread: how to disable to automatic wireless interface up in ubuntu?

Beans

Exclamation how to disable to automatic wireless interface up in ubuntu?

On my laptop I have a built in wireless card and I got one external connected via usb. By ifconfig command I saw both the cards connects to internet and gets IP.

eth1 - the interface my laptop has in-built wlan1 - I have connected externally via usb.

Now I applied "sudo ifconfig eth1 down" so that i can use only wlan1. But this eth1 goes down for sometime and then come up again automatically. So I am not able to test my externally usb connected wifi adapter.

Can anyone suggest me way to disable eth1 interface?

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: how to disable to automatic wireless interface up in ubuntu?

Well, if I had a built in wireless and it worked, the only reason I could see to try a USB wireless adapter would be if it provided more functionality - things like better security, 802.11n, etc.. That being said, is there an option in your BIOS to turn off the on board wireless adapter?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    Well, if I had a built in wireless and it worked, the only reason I could see to try a USB wireless adapter would be if it provided more functionality - things like better security, 802.11n, etc.. That being said, is there an option in your BIOS to turn off the on board wireless adapter?
    Actually I need to work on both interfaces as I am developing something and testing. So I need a flexible way to switch between the two interfaces frequently. So I need an easiest way to do rather than disabling it in BIOS or blacklisting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you want to disable the wireless , find the driver that uses and remove it.

Give this command
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    see in "Kernel driver in use:" and then give this command
    Code:
    lsmod
    Probably you will see the module (driver) listed there.

You can remove it with
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rvf <module-name>
    Alternatevly you can use this command
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    take a look at "description: Wireless interface" and see driver=

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I do not understand this statement:

eth1 - the interface my laptop has in-built wlan1
    My motherboard has 2 x built in ethernet adapters and 1 x wireless adapter. They work independantly of each other. I can disconnect the wireless adapter and still use either ethernet adapter and I can disconnect the ethernet adapters and still use the wireless adapter.

Have you tried Network manager to edit these connections. If you have eth(0) or eth(1) (now called wired connection 1 and wired connection 2 in 12.10) set to Connect automatically in Network Manager then that is what will happen.

The situation will be the same with any wireless connection if it is set to connect automatically.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530