Thread: Change Application Specific User-Data Files Default Location of /home/user/.appname

Beans

Change Application Specific User-Data Files Default Location of /home/user/.appname

Hi All,

Is there a way to change the default location of where application specific user-data files are stored for a particular user? I created a user that manages game servers, and the log files for these game servers end up in the /home/user/.gamename directory rather than staying in the current directory of /servers/gamename/user1. Is there a way to prevent application specific files from ending up in hidden directories in the user's home? I want them to stay in the current directory.

Where are these settings stored, and where can I edit them?

Please let me know. All help is appreciated.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Change Application Specific User-Data Files Default Location of /home/user/.appna

Actually, I think that's just a convention. Most applications will use a folder in your $HOME folder, though it's really up to the upstream devs. Some applications use $HOME/.$appname folders, some use $HOME/.$appname file as their configuration storage, and some apps use $HOME/.config/$appname folder for configuration (this is a relatively new convention).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Change Application Specific User-Data Files Default Location of /home/user/.appna

you can try cheating the game by symlinking its default /home/user/.gamename to another location.
    Move the files, delete /home/user/.gamename and create a symlink with ln -s command in its place
    Code:
    ln -s /some/dir/with/game/config /home/user/.gamename
    from now on .gamename is a fake directory linking to another place, but for the game nothing will change
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    you can try cheating the game by symlinking its default /home/user/.gamename to another location.
    Move the files, delete /home/user/.gamename and create a symlink with ln -s command in its place
    Code:
    ln -s /some/dir/with/game/config /home/user/.gamename
    from now on .gamename is a fake directory linking to another place, but for the game nothing will change
    Cool, I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2
    Actually, I think that's just a convention. Most applications will use a folder in your $HOME folder, though it's really up to the upstream devs. Some applications use $HOME/.$appname folders, some use $HOME/.$appname file as their configuration storage, and some apps use $HOME/.config/$appname folder for configuration (this is a relatively new convention).
    So is this a setting in the game server's code itself? There's no hard coded way to change it for all apps?

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You could change the $HOME variable itself, but I can't promise that'll work. Symlinking will probably prove to be more effective.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rai4shu2 View Post
    You could change the $HOME variable itself, but I can't promise that'll work. Symlinking will probably prove to be more effective.
    Unfortunately, I have 4 of the same game servers running on my box with different IP addresses. They each want to write their log file in /home/user/.mohaa rather than using their current directory and writing to qconsole.log. This creates a problem, as I only have 1 log file for as many MOHAA servers as I run.

Is there no way that you know of to force applications to write in their currently running directory rather than using a specific /home/user/.app path?

Beans

I'm guessing this is the application's behavior, or is this some king of deep setting in Ubuntu. Wish someone knew. Symlinks won't cut it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

i think it's the program's behavior. Some programs i have write to ~/.program, some write to ~/.config/program so i don't think it's the system that sets the rules.

Can't you have 4 different accounts each running single server?
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls