Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ffmpeg BD mkv to pal-dvd jumpy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Re: ffmpeg BD mkv to pal-dvd jumpy

Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    It's a real shame & sad that AviSynth does not exist as a native app.
    Well, AvxSynth exists. And now so does VapourSynth. Two different approaches, with differing levels of compatibility with AviSynth. Disregarding, of course, that the plugins (which are really what makes the tool so versatile) are independent of the core even with the original and would also have to be ported to be useful (although there was brief talk about how it would be cool to have a thunking layer for the plugin .dlls to work with AvxSynth since relatively few of them rely on the Windows subsystem).

I think much of the relative lack of activity in getting the external filters ported is sort of a case of waiting with baited breath that one of the solutions actually succeeds and takes hold. Or the developers being Windows-centric, or with some plugins, being just plain old and active development on them having stopped years ago because there just wasn't anything else to add.

Speaking of AvxSynth, though, there is some activity right now regarding changes to FFmpeg's AviSynth parser that would allow it to accept AvxSynth input on Linux. Hopefully this happens soon and then there'll be more traction to work with on that front.
    Last edited by qyot27; October 29th, 2012 at 03:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for all your replies, it appears my problem may be more expansive than originally thought and perhaps I haven't given you enough information, particurally about the hardware I am using.

I may try a ntsc-dvd conversion but am not holding out much hope. I may leave this thread for the moment and probably re-visit it in a year or so

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd like to thank qyot27 for the detailed & interesting replies..

I did not know of avxsyth etc..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

In regards to AvxSynth, the effectiveness of the patch for FFmpeg to allow using it directly is influenced by the particular version of FFmpeg you're using - I experienced segfaults when using the git master (and I later found this same caveat in the patch thread on ffmpeg-devel), but it supposedly works if you use 1.0 or 0.11. For reference, though, the relevant posts are:

http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-d...er/131529.html (for the avs_ffmpeg_configure.diff only)
    http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-d...er/132129.html (for an updated version of avisynth.c)

You also need to fiddle with some of the install paths for the include files, and if you're using FFMS2 from SVN, you'll need to patch AvxSynth because it fails to build libavxffms2 ever since libpostproc support was completely removed from the trunk. As of r730, though, you no longer need to run autogen.sh to get VapourSynth support activated.

There are, however, another couple of patches, included on 0x09's osx branch, that enable AvxSynth to be used as input by mplayer2 (through mpdemux) and x264 (by modifying the existing AviSynth input support). These patches are considered to be temporary until the libavformat demuxer is complete/accepted (although I can't see how lavf support of AvxSynth would solve this for x264, since its AviSynth input has always been discrete), but I know first-hand that the mplayer2 patch works, and that it works with ffmpeg-git. It allows for both seeking backwards and forwards in scripts and to output audio, the latter of which was an issue for the avxFrameServer application that's bundled with the source (and which is apparently undergoing a rewrite right now). And in the event that you built the vo-lavc branch of mplayer2, it also lets you transcode using the script as input.

With VapourSynth support, x264 still hasn't received an official update, so getting support for the extended Y4M colorspaces is still only in the x264-devel branch.

If installing both VapourSynth and AvxSynth (because it is possible and they don't conflict with each other), then you should install VapourSynth first. Mostly because FFMS2 as built from SVN supports it as-is, and you need FFMS2 installed prior to AvxSynth so it can use it to generate libavxffms2.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123