Thread: Is it at all possible to stream media that is in another OS? Aka in /media/[USER]/OS?

Beans

Is it at all possible to stream media that is in another OS? Aka in /media/[USER]/OS?

I'd like not to have to copy/paste all of my movies into my Ubuntu partition to get streaming to work, however in any streaming client with a web interface (Mediatomb, squeezebox) It doesn't list it. Or in the case of MiniDLNA (What I am using) it tells me "permission denied".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is it at all possible to stream media that is in another OS? Aka in /media/[USER]

Is the other OS windows or linux?

If it's windows usually you should be able to read it, but even in this case it's far from recommended since windows doesn't want other OSs to touch its system partition. If we are talking about media in your default user folder in windows, that means it's the system partition.

If it's linux and they are in the default location, the Home folder of a user, it will probably refuse access to other users.

Fow media you want to use cross platforms the usual would be to save them in specific shared location, not in any Home (Users) folder. That should give it easy access from other OSs and machines.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans

Re: Is it at all possible to stream media that is in another OS? Aka in /media/[USER]

The other OS is Windows 7, I wasn't aware that there was even such a thing as a shared location.

You said that it should be able to read it, but here is the error message I receive when trying.

minidlna.c:474: error: Media directory "/media/duodecillian/OS/Users/Ed/Videos/Movies" not accessible! [Permission denied]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And what if you try to open the location yourself manually from Nautilus?

And are you mounting this win7 partition (location) in /etc/fstab or not?
    Darko.

Beans

Opening the location via nautilus is fine.

I also just edited fstab to automount the OS, unfortunately I still got the same error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If opening in nautilus is fine, that means minidlna is trying to access in some different way (user). But I don't know details how minidlna works.
    Darko.