Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything better than Xubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Anything better than Xubuntu?

Xubuntu vs *buntu on a new laptop. Which is better and why? Anything to recommend better than Xubuntu?

Beans

Re: Anything better than Xubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Marzata View Post
    Xubuntu vs *buntu on a new laptop. Which is better and why? Anything to recommend better than Xubuntu?
    Arch Xfce because you know nothing will be installed on the system you don't explicitly install
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

For the record I use Lubuntu.

Which is better and why?
    is subjective.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I like Kubuntu because of all the customization options and eye candy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Arch Xfce because you know nothing will be installed on the system you don't explicitly install
    I don't go quite as far as Arch, but I install all my systems from a mini.iso command line base. Or a netinstall if I'm setting up a Debian machine. You get what the base installs, but that really isn't very much. Flavor with DE and apps to suit.

I quite like a 12.04 mini install and adding the MATE desktop. Very lean machine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wheeze View Post
    I don't go quite as far as Arch, but I install all my systems from a mini.iso command line base. Or a netinstall if I'm setting up a Debian machine. You get what the base installs, but that really isn't very much. Flavor with DE and apps to suit.

I quite like a 12.04 mini install and adding the MATE desktop. Very lean machine
    I actually tried that after installing arch and actually found an arch install easier to get everything working but to each his own
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Marzata View Post
    Xubuntu vs *buntu on a new laptop. Which is better and why?
    Define "better" ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    I actually tried that after installing arch and actually found an arch install easier to get everything working but to each his own
    I've never tried Arch myself, just read about it. One day I'll throw it on my USB external drive to play with.

Never had any problems getting a base install working for either Ubuntu or Debian, but as you say, to each his own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Define "better" ?
    That was exactly what I thought when I first saw this thread.

I have Kubuntu installed on my desktop with Ubuntu available on a USB hard drive. I have Ubuntu installed on my laptop and Lubuntu on my netbook.

I don't have Xubuntu installed at present and it is unlikely that I ever will again. It just doesn't feel and look right but that is my personal preference. I've tried it several times over three or four versions but Xubuntu just doesn't work for me. That probably doesn't help Marzata but as he/she is asking about Ubuntu v Xubuntu, I would always go for Ubuntu.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; October 14th, 2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Improved grammar

Beans

So, what are you going to use your computer for??

For my kids that need word processing (Libre), email (Thunderbird), browser, fb, video, pics - Ubuntu / Ubuntu 2d (with the Gwibber Lens and Wikipedia Lens downloads!) is great. The Dash also helps them find apps that I've (they've as well) installed.

For me, I prefer all of my stuff on easily configurable panels, so Lubuntu / LXDE / Xubuntu / XFCE suits me. (I dislike Thunar - takes too long to start the first time in each login - thus my pref for Lubuntu / LXDE over Xubuntu / XFCE).

Mint Mate is a great alternative for the now ?unsupported? Gnome2 desktop. And, Mint Cinnamon looks interesting - but my machine isn't beefy enough for it, so I sadly uninstalled it. Cinnamon feels like a cross between Gnome3 and KDE. I3 ("eye-3") is also another interesting WM.

The nice thing is that you can install / uninstall ALL of these desktops and WMs at will (on top of a *buntu installation) and choose which session you want when you log in depending on your tasks at hand (as opposed to installing a Windows O/S with only one option that apparently suits every task and person...) Be careful uninstalling Gnome because Ubuntu relies on it.

So, I find myself using LXDE and Mate the most often depending on what I want to do. Sometimes even Ubuntu and I3 are comfortable for me.

So, if you want only ONE choice, I suggest Windows 7... If you want to unleash creativity - install multiple desktops and WMs and use the ones that best support what and how you use your computer. Anyway, this is what I've learned after the "switch" to Linux. Now, can we get iTunes jamming on Linux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast