Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Internet connection

Beans

No Internet connection

Hi,

I have an old Asus Eee pc which I now use only to write a few programms for college, since the computer is so old and I barely use Windows I decided to install Ubuntu 10.04 Lts and to erase the Windows partition (the Ubuntu installer gave me that option, which I selected). It all went great untill the time I wanted to connnect to the Internet. The pc recognizes the wireless connections in range and even asks me for the password, I type it in and wait but it just won't connect! After a few minutes it asks to input the password again and the same thing happens, and this over and over again.
    Sorry for the bad English and I hope you guys can help me. Thank you.

Regards,

Gilha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: No Internet connection

Hi, copy and paste this command in the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) please:
    Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    It will download a script and create a text file in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time and the Mac address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security, then reply back and attach the netinfo.txt file.
    Thanks

Beans

I'm sorry but i cannot run that in the terminal of my Ubuntu pc because I've got no Internet connection on that computer. I've tried to run that in the Windows terminal, from where i'm working right now, but it doesn't work. what can I do for you to help me?
    Thank you very much

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Gilha View Post
    I'm sorry but i cannot run that in the terminal of my Ubuntu pc because I've got no Internet connection on that computer. I've tried to run that in the Windows terminal, from where i'm working right now, but it doesn't work. what can I do for you to help me?
    Then you must "play" with transfer files from one pc to other , through Usb-stick.

Goto this page http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script

The script is above. Click in your browser File > Save Page as and save it inside to Usb-Stick.
    Transfer the file to your /home folder inside Ubuntu and the open a terminal and do

Code:
    sudo chown username:username wireless_script
    sudo chmod a+x wireless_script 
    ./wireless_script
    Where username , replace it with your actual username in Ubuntu.
    Then transfer again the netinfo.txt file , that will be created, into working PC , and attach the file here.

Thanks

Beans

I've noticed with the installations that wireless connectivity during installation fails (*buntu and Debian)... So, just ignore and continue the installation.

During installation, seems to only like WEP (and not WPA).

After install and reboot and login, easily connect to the network from the network icon and perform any upgrades as well as adding the language support...

I also suggest either Lubuntu (or maybe Xubuntu) if you have a really old machine... Ubuntu using Unity / Compiz might be too slugish.

Beans

I tried to run the code on #4, but the terminal has the following output on the first command: "cannot access 'wireless_script': No such file or directory"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, please run these commands then copy the results to a flash drive and use a computer with internet to post them.
    Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release; uname -a
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    lsusb
    iwconfig
    rfkill list all
    lsmod
    Thanks
    Last edited by wildmanne39; October 21st, 2012 at 06:13 PM.

Beans

hi sry I took so long to reply, was away from home for a few days.

here are the results of the code u asked me to run on my terminal:
    im sending the code in a txt file in an attachment.

thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

From the info you provided and after a search to Web, I found that this is a bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3?comments=all

The workaround is to install the wireless-backport-modules , although I guess that if you install a newer kernel , maybe this will solve your problem.

If you have internet through Ethernet , try to full update your system
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    and if a newer kernel installed , boot from there and test again.

If not, then try to install wireless - backport -modules . You can find them from synaptic package manager if you write to search box wireless backport .

In any case wait for Wild Man's response.. before you proceed with any of my suggestions.

Thanks

Beans

Thank you for your help NikTh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast