Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Problems after installing Ubuntu 12

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    40

    Problems after installing Ubuntu 12

    Hi there,

    I've installed Ubuntu 12 a month ago, and everything was OK for a week or so. Then
    one day everything was missing from the desktop. I had to create an empty folder to have access to the rest of the folders, and use the terminal (though I'm really far from get a decent use out of it) for a few simple tasks.
    So as I'm new on Ubuntu I'm forced to ask: what to do

    Thanks on advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Beans
    500
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Problems after installing Ubuntu 12

    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo saxel View Post
    Hi there,

    I've installed Ubuntu 12 a month ago, and everything was OK for a week or so. Then
    one day everything was missing from the desktop. I had to create an empty folder to have access to the rest of the folders, and use the terminal (though I'm really far from get a decent use out of it) for a few simple tasks.
    So as I'm new on Ubuntu I'm forced to ask: what to do

    Thanks on advance
    when you say everything went missing from the desktop what do you mean?

    for example: the side bar went missing? and the black bar along the top?

    if so, it means unity is broken and needs restored. try this:

    press:

    Code:
    ctrl   atl    F1
    it will open a virtual terminal. Login to it. then type:

    Code:
    sudo killall Xorg
    this will kill the window manager, then run:

    Code:
    mv -v ~/.config/compiz-1 ~/.config/compiz-1.BROKEN
    and finally

    Code:
    mv -v ~/.config/dconf ~/.config/dconf.BROKEN
    then press:

    Code:
    ctrl     alt    F7
    and log in as normal. It should restore unity for you..
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    40

    Re: Problems after installing Ubuntu 12

    when you say :
    "sudo killall Xorg"

    is it a small "x" or a capital ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Beans
    500
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Problems after installing Ubuntu 12

    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo saxel View Post
    when you say :
    "sudo killall Xorg"

    is it a small "x" or a capital ?
    oo not sure...

    just do both.. will get the right 1
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    40

    Re: Problems after installing Ubuntu 12

    When I try to run :

    mv -v ~/.config/compiz-1 ~/.config/compiz-1.BROKEN

    it says :

    mv: cannot stat '/home/bastien/.config/confiz-1' : No such file or directory

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Beans
    500
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Problems after installing Ubuntu 12

    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo saxel View Post
    When I try to run :

    mv -v ~/.config/compiz-1 ~/.config/compiz-1.BROKEN

    it says :

    mv: cannot stat '/home/bastien/.config/confiz-1' : No such file or directory
    if you try:

    Code:
    cd ~/.config
    does it let you?

    if so type

    Code:
    ls
    and it should look like:

    Code:
    autostart  feedindicator   totem
    compiz-1   gedit                 ibus              Trolltech.conf
    dconf      gnome-control-center  libimobiledevice  update-notifier
    Empathy    gnome-disk-utility    libreoffice       user-dirs.dirs
    enchant    gnome-session         monitors.xml     user-dirs.locale
    eog        gnome-sudoku          nautilus          vlc     
    goa-1.0    nautilus-actions      evolution         google-chrome
    software-center
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    40

    Re: Problems after installing Ubuntu 12

    Quote Originally Posted by androssofer View Post
    if you try:

    Code:
    cd ~/.config
    does it let you?

    if so type

    Code:
    ls
    and it should look like:

    Code:
    autostart  feedindicator   totem
    compiz-1   gedit                 ibus              Trolltech.conf
    dconf      gnome-control-center  libimobiledevice  update-notifier
    Empathy    gnome-disk-utility    libreoffice       user-dirs.dirs
    enchant    gnome-session         monitors.xml     user-dirs.locale
    eog        gnome-sudoku          nautilus          vlc     
    goa-1.0    nautilus-actions      evolution         google-chrome
    software-center

    Ok, it looks like that
    then ?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Beans
    500
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Problems after installing Ubuntu 12

    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo saxel View Post
    Ok, it looks like that
    then ?
    does it have 'compiz-1' in the list?
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Australian in Germany
    Beans
    4,010
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Problems after installing Ubuntu 12

    Quote Originally Posted by androssofer View Post
    does it have 'compiz-1' in the list?
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo saxel View Post
    When I try to run :

    mv -v ~/.config/compiz-1 ~/.config/compiz-1.BROKEN

    it says :

    mv: cannot stat '/home/bastien/.config/confiz-1' : No such file or directory
    Watch out. There are typos happening here. The OP might have entered the mv command incorrectly.
    Michael

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    40

    Re: Problems after installing Ubuntu 12

    Quote Originally Posted by androssofer View Post
    does it have 'compiz-1' in the list?
    yep. and it says ".BROKEN" after it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •