Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I unistall gnome?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question How can I unistall gnome?

I was bored and decided to go into the terminal and obtain gnome via the sudo command: sudo apt-get install gnome and it installed alot of stuff. However I realize that I don't like gnome as much as I do unity, so I go to remove via sudo apt-get remove gnome or sudo apt-get autoremove gnome and only thing is targeted. Could anyone please help me figure out how to permanently remove gnome and all programs and files associated with it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I unistall gnome?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterProgram View Post
    I was bored and decided to go into the terminal and obtain gnome via the sudo command: sudo apt-get install gnome and it installed alot of stuff. However I realize that I don't like gnome as much as I do unity, so I go to remove via sudo apt-get remove gnome or sudo apt-get autoremove gnome and only thing is targeted. Could anyone please help me figure out how to permanently remove gnome and all programs and files associated with it?
    You can't completely remove gnome, because Unity runs on top of it. If you have synaptic installed on your system, you can check the history, and remove the packages that were installed on that date.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: How can I unistall gnome?

Ok, how can I get the grub menu from this ugly old looking debain screen back to the ubuntu screen that looks cleaner? As well how can I make the lightdm the default display manager and remove the gdm? That's the really reason I want to get rid of or undo what I installed. I looked in the synaptic package manager and could see where to click to get the screen to look like your screen grab, so if you could walk me through that as well. I may have a screen name of MasterProgram but I am still a noob with an affinity for computers and the only reason I went with that name is because I believe I was watching Tron or Tron Legacy when I signed up.

Thanks again for all your help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Moved to General Help, as this type of question doesn't belong in the Cafe.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, I'm sorry for posting it in the wrong section of the forum, but could you please try and help me out with my problem?

Beans
    Distro

The GNOME metapackage installs many packages. Find out what programs that were installed that don't wreck Unity (that are safe to uninstall).

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

You should be able to run:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    to reset it. If GDM is loaded you may have to kill it:
    Code:
    sudo service gdm stop
    Last edited by wojox; October 14th, 2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: added to stop gdm

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is there a command for the terminal that will allow for me to remove and purge several packages at once?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Post number 2 by cariboo907 gave instructions on how to remove that day's installs.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Alright I think I have got it back in order, however the grub splashscreen is still coming up with this ugly debian themed screen. What I want is to put it back to the ubuntu screen that is programmed into ubuntu? Any ideas, like is there a specific grub version I need and if so which is it? Is it just a file that need to modify? Oh and for some odd reason gnome classic is still an option on the login screen. Any ideas how I can eliminate that option?

Thanks for all your help.

PS.
    For some odd reason even though I removed and purged the epiphany web browser from the system it still shows up in the hud. Any ideas?
    Last edited by TheodoreP; October 14th, 2012 at 03:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast