Thread: AFP permission issues

Hybrid View

Beans

AFP permission issues

I'm new here and kind of new to Ubuntu and since it's my first post, hello everybody!

Since Apple keeps changing Mac OS X Server and by definition requires a Mac to run, I wondered if it might be possible to set up a basic file server for Mac clients with Ubuntu. While the installation and basic configuration of Netatalk and Avahi was pretty straight forward, I ran into weird issues with AFP permissions. So here's what I did and what I hope someone more experienced than me can help me with. I use Ubuntu Server 12.04 in VMWare and connecting with Mac OS X 10.8.2.

Installed Netatalk:
    Code:
    apt-get install netatalk
    Installed Avahi:
    Code:
    apt-get install avahi-daemon
    Uncommented this line in /etc/netatalk/afpd.conf to enable encrypted password transmission:
    Code:
    - -tcp -noddp -uamlist uams_dhx2.so -nosavepassword
    Edited /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default so it reads:
    Code:
    # The line below sets some DEFAULT, starting with Netatalk 2.1.
    :DEFAULT: options:upriv,usedots

# By default all users have access to their home directories.
    ~/			"Home Directory"
    /srv/files/Agentur	"Agentur"		allow:@mitarbeiter dperm:0775 fperm:0664
    /srv/files/Test		"Test"			allow:@mitarbeiter dperm:0755 fperm:0664
    Added some users and groups:
    Code:
    adduser marcel --ingroup staff
    adduser lutz --ingroup staff
    addgroup mitarbeiter
    addgroup marcel mitarbeiter
    addgroup lutz mitarbeiter
    So far, so good. The first test connecting with user "marcel", using the share "Agentur" worked fine. I copied a file there. When connecting with user "lutz", I could read but not write or delete the file and not copy any more files there. User "marcel" still worked as expected. I found the issue when looking at the permissions of the files that were created after the first login. Here's a list if the permissions:

Code:
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root   staff   4096 Oct 13 18:09 .AppleDB/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root   staff   4096 Oct 13 16:21 .AppleDesktop/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root   staff   4096 Oct 13 17:51 .AppleDouble/
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 marcel   staff  15364 Oct 13 17:14 .DS_Store*
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 marcel staff 153080 Oct 12 13:54 IMG_2006.JPG
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root   staff   4096 Oct 13 16:21 Network Trash Folder/
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root   staff   4096 Oct 13 16:21 Temporary Items/
    Apparently the .Apple* files get created after the first connect – with the name of the user who logged in first over AFP. But no matter how I changed the permissions in that folder, nothing short of

Code:
    chown root:staff * .Apple*
    chmod 777 * .Apple*
    did work. Is that correct behavior? I'm confused, since Mac OS X Server handles this quite differently. All files are assigned to root:root and when setting up a new share there is of course no waiting for the first login and then adjusting the permissions by hand. What I don't understand is why I need to have world rwx permissions, when all users connecting are in the default group "staff". When I remove x from world, the share stops working altogether, r and w do what the should do.

Which brings me to ACLs. I read about problematic ACLs here and here, so I kind of understand the reasoning. I still feel it's confusing since the usual expected behavior on practically and file server would be to inherit the permissions from the parent folder when creating a new file or folder.

To summarize:

• Can anyone clear up the permission issue?
    • Is there a good and clear guide to using ACLs in combination with AFP for Ubuntu?
    • Does a clear guide for AFP exist that covers all those pitfalls?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and possibly help me. Please excuse if I may have forgotten to include vital information. This is my first serious try with Linux.

Beans

Re: AFP permission issues

Unfortunately no one replied to my post to give me pointers. I thought I'd share the preliminary solution I found after quite some digging. Maybe it helps others having the same trouble.

I have come across yet another weirdness: the explicit permissions set by dparm and fparm were not carried out. No matter what I did, it did not work. Until I came across the option umask. All that was needed was to change /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default to this:

Code:
    # The line below sets some DEFAULT, starting with Netatalk 2.1.
    :DEFAULT: options:upriv,usedots

# By default all users have access to their home directories.
    ~/			"Home Directory"
    /srv/files/Agentur	"Agentur"		allow:@mitarbeiter dperm:0770 fperm:0660 umask:0007
    /srv/files/Test		"Test"			allow:@mitarbeiter dperm:0750 fperm:0660 umask:0007
    Aside from running

Code:
    chmod 777 * .*
    chown root:staff * .*
    after creating a new share and logging in for the first time, everything works like charm now.

You're very welcome to add to this or correct me where I'm wrong.

Beans

Re: AFP permission issues

with
    Code:
    dperm:0770 fperm:0660 umask:0007
    i got the group sticky bit set (might be a bug in netatalk 2.2.2-1ubuntu1) :
    Code:
    drwxrws---   3 bernstein bernstein       4096 Aug 31 19:00 test
    so i had to change it to
    Code:
    dperm:0770 fperm:0660 umask:7007
    fyi afaik: dperm and fperm always force the given rights (like ug+rwx or ug+rw), however they don't prevent anything. umask is for denying rights (like o-rwx, ug-s & a-t).