Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 beta 2 - desktop cube gone?

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 beta 2 - desktop cube gone?

So recently my Ubuntu figured there is a new distro, apperantly beta 2, and I was eager to know what the new distro featured, so I upgraded.

But all of a sudden someone decided the compiz-plugins should be marked as broken, so I lost the ability to move from side to side, which is really a powerful ability! Basically you can have an infinite wide virtual desktop, which is really handy. (Mac OS has this also, although it is not an endless loop like with a cube)

Come on guys! I agree changes should be made when there are improvements, but these kinds of changes have really a great impact!

Or am I the only one having this same problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 beta 2 - desktop cube gone?

The compiz plugins are not broken. There were about a year ago. These plugins have been disabled because the two Compiz developers do not have the time to maintain those plugins. Which means that as Compiz is developed the plugins will break and then what would you say?

What version of Ubuntu did you upgrade from? There is a workplace switcher icon in the Launcher in 12.04 and there is one in 12.10 and then there is Ctrl + Alt + arrow key to move around the four workplaces.

Also there is Alt + Tab that will let you move between application windows that are open in a workplace.

Oh, by the way, do not even suggest that Ubuntu copies Apple designs. You know what happened to Samsung.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 beta 2 - desktop cube gone?

rotate/cube is available & working in 12.10 -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install compiz-plugins compizconfig-settings-manager