Thread: 'End Of File' error when trying to convert .OGV file to .MKV with ffmpeg

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question 'End Of File' error when trying to convert .OGV file to .MKV with ffmpeg

Hi, all,

I am trying to convert an .OGV file generated by recordMyDesktop in Kubuntu to something watchable.

[/CODE]
    ~/Desktop Greetings, Madam. $ffmpeg -i input.ogv -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 22 -c:a copy output.mkv
    ffmpeg version 0.8.3-4:0.8.3-0ubuntu0.12.04.1, Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the Libav developers
    built on Jun 12 2012 16:52:09 with gcc 4.6.3
    *** THIS PROGRAM IS DEPRECATED ***
    This program is only provided for compatibility and will be removed in a future release. Please use avconv instead.
    input.ogv: End of file
    [/CODE]

So, it seems that somehow this file has been improperly closed, and that is throwing an error. What needs to happen to make this .OGV file accessible again?

I can't show you the file viewed as text; the characters won't paste in here. I am guessing that some tag or newline or something is needed at the end, but am unsure how to start.
    Registered Linux User #479009
    Friend-->Linux; 6 and counting...

Beans

Re: 'End Of File' error when trying to convert .OGV file to .MKV with ffmpeg

I've never seen that "End of file" message before. Can you edit your post to include the additional console output? It appears you have a typo, an extra slash, in your first code tag. [code]your code[/code].

You can also try using a recent ffmpeg from FFmpeg. Static FFmpeg builds are supplied for testing and for those not wanting to compile or mess with the package management system. Of course you could always compile FFmpeg too, but the already compiled static builds are great for quick testing. I've noticed from helping others that when "ffmpeg"/avconv from libav in the repo doesn't work it will usually work with ffmpeg from FFmpeg. Download the archive from the link, extract it, navigate into the directory, and then run:
    Code:
    ./ffmpeg -i input.ogv -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 22 -c:a copy output.mkv
    (notice the ./ before the ffmpeg command)

Also, why re-encode the file in the first place? Most players worth using should be able to decode Theora with no issue.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; October 14th, 2012 at 02:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 'End Of File' error when trying to convert .OGV file to .MKV with ffmpeg

I can't find a player that will play this. I know there's something wrong with the file, and that it's missing something near the end. I don't know where I would even start to fix it, however. I don't know what I'd use; Kate is my text editor, and I can't paste in the file as opened from there, because it's just gibberish and blanks.

Ok, I used the most recent static build, and executed your command. Here's the output:

Code:
    ~/Desktop Greetings, Madam. $./ffmpeg -i john_talk.ogv -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 22 -c:a copy output.mkv
    ffmpeg version N-45350-g62722ae Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers
      built on Oct 12 2012 05:21:59 with gcc 4.6 (Debian 4.6.3-1)
      configuration: --prefix=/root/ffmpeg-static/64bit --extra-cflags='-I/root/ffmpeg-static/64bit/include -static' --extra-ldflags='-L/root/ffmpeg-static/64bit/lib -static' --extra-libs='-lxml2 -lexpat -lfreetype' --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-ffserver --disable-doc --enable-bzlib --enable-zlib --enable-postproc --enable-runtime-cpudetect --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libmp3lame --enable-gray --enable-libass --enable-libfreetype --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libspeex --enable-libvo-aacenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-version3 --enable-libvpx
      libavutil      51. 74.100 / 51. 74.100
      libavcodec     54. 65.100 / 54. 65.100
      libavformat    54. 32.100 / 54. 32.100
      libavdevice    54.  3.100 / 54.  3.100
      libavfilter     3. 19.102 /  3. 19.102
      libswscale      2.  1.101 /  2.  1.101
      libswresample   0. 16.100 /  0. 16.100
      libpostproc    52.  1.100 / 52.  1.100
    [ogg @ 0x37c38c0] multiple fisbone for the same stream is not implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from Git. If the problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature which has not been implemented.
    john_talk.ogv: End of file
    ~/Desktop Greetings, Madam. $
    Registered Linux User #479009
    Friend-->Linux; 6 and counting...