Thread: Creating a Webserver step-by-step

Beans

Creating a Webserver step-by-step

So here's my problem:

I have an old computer (OS Windows 2000) which I have to turn into a webserver running Moodle and a website I'm going to create from scratch.

I need that server running at the maximum speed possible ASAP.

So I though about asking you about how to do it since I've got no idea of what system to use (it doesn't need to have a GUI. It can be text based if it improves speed) and how to install the software (I've never used ubuntu before).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Creating a Webserver step-by-step

You got a pretty stiff learning curve ahead of you. Hopefully you've got at least a couple of weeks before the server needs to be up and running.

Have look at this page for a web server howto.

For a moodle setup how to have a look at this page.

The web server set up page, is a bit dated, but all the information is still valid.

Before setting up your server, it probably would be a good idea to learn a few Linux basics, which you can do here
    Last edited by cariboo; October 13th, 2012 at 12:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

https

When setting up the web server in preparation for Moodle, it will be essential to also enable and use HTTPS. A self-signed certificate will be sufficient. There are lots of tutorials and howtos for Apache2, but here is one to get you on the path:

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/349

It's important that Moodle use HTTPS otherwise the students will be able to get the staff passwords and have more fun than should be allowed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Creating a Webserver step-by-step

Quote Originally Posted by prostudent View Post
    I have an old computer (OS Windows 2000) which I have to turn into a webserver running Moodle and a website I'm going to create from scratch.

I need that server running at the maximum speed possible ASAP. ...
    For quick deployment you may want to use a TurnkeyLinux prebuilt appliance. They have one for Moodle!

Yes, running a CLI only will reduce the necessary RAM.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.