Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wubi on windows 7

Beans

Wubi on windows 7

I have windows 7 64bit installed on my lenovo z580 laptop. Last night I went to the ubuntu website and used the windows installer to install ubuntu so I can have a dual boot system, everything went fine until it asked me to reboot and windows 7 will boot when selected but ubuntu will not, I get the following error:

/ubuntu/winboot/wubildr.mbr is missing and i get a status error of: 0xC0000098

I am not wanting to remove windows and I would like to have ubuntu also but I have no clue how to fix this.

thanks in advance for anyones help!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu has screwed my machine up....

Did you install 32-bit or 64-bit Ubuntu? What version of Ubuntu did you attempt to install?
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

i did 64bit 12.04lts, said lts was good for laptops

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It doesn't affect Windows. Just Wubi is not booting. Go to the Control Panel, Add or remove programs, and uninstall Ubuntu.

There could be a few reasons why you get this problem. If you're booting using UEFI for instance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your Windows system should be alright. Wubi installs Ubuntu like any other program within Windows. The difference being that it loads when the computer starts or restarts to boot and not when Windows is running.
    If it's just not working go to the add remove program section of Windows to remove. It'll uninstall like any other program.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I did uninstall it and it still does not boot correctly now. I keep getting that error

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can also burn a ubuntu disk and boot from that disk, then reinstall from the disk leaving your windows install. it should give a few options for installation, install along side windows should be one of them.

I had issues with wubi before as well, I hope it gets fixed asap. To me it seems like there was an error during install, this process will replace the bootloader with grub2, which can also boot windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by penmaker View Post
    I did uninstall it and it still does not boot correctly now. I keep getting that error
    What does that mean? WHAT does not boot correctly -- Ubuntu or Win7?
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

This is not really as big a problem as you fear. Nothing to worry about. Here's what happened:

Quote Originally Posted by penmaker View Post
    ...used the windows installer to install ubuntu so I can have a dual boot system
    You didn't really install Ubuntu as a dual boot system. The phrase "dual boot" has a very precise meaning with operating systems. It means an installation that exists separately and independently of Windows. What you did was use an installation method called WUBI. Using this installation method, Ubuntu is installed inside Windows and is dependant on it. Whenever you turn on your computer, Windows is still booting first. But halfway through its boot process, it switches to Ubuntu. Therefore, when you uninstalled Ubuntu, Ubuntu was properly deleted, but a remnant of this "switch to Ubuntu" setting was left in the Windows bootloader. If you clean this up, your Windows bootloader will go back to behaving like it used to.

@bcbc has provided a link to good instructions for removal of this remnant.

If you are still interested in running Ubuntu as a true dual boot, the instructions are here.

Here's my advice:

Before doing so, lurk on this forum first. Look over old threads dealing with partitioning and preparing your HD properly for dual boot. It is a rather involved process, and also can be dangerous because you are dealing with critical areas of your HD. You MUST back up your important data first. This is an absolute necessity. A good thread to look at is here, especially post #7 and #14.

It is better to patiently plan out all of your steps, ask questions on this forum and be sure of your procedures than to just forge ahead with an install. Life is happier and less stressful that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast