Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding a distro

Beans

Need help finding a distro

Hello, Till I bought my new computer back in March, I've tried like 20 different distributions, but all of them have some sort of bug which prevents it from being usable. One of the main major problem many distros have is with sluggishness. I've tried Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Opensuse, PCLOS, Mageia and their derivatives but because of sluggishness, I hate to use them. Today, for example I tried SolusOS, and it has a problem on my hardware that I get lots of graphical artifacts all over the place, possibly beacuse of outdated drivers. And the graphics suck - Cardapio and window titlebars flashes a brilliant white everytime it loads, etc. It doesn't have compositing quite right. So SolusOS is the best distro in terms of looks, but in terms of user experience, the graphical issues make it the worst. I tried Chakra 2012.09 and I'm happy because I finally found a distro that flies on my hardware, even with the very heavy kde using open source drivers! It's the first distro I found that's actually very fast. But the problem is it's only available in KDE, which is a little too rich for me. So I'm on the search of a distro which is beautiful like SolusOS but without issues. I like Gnome Shell but I've found that it's annoying to do any useful work on it. I prefer a desktop like Cinnamon or a very polished one like Solus, but one that is never sluggish. So please find me a Cinnamon desktop or better that is as fast as Chakra because no other distro whether is Ubuntu or Suse or whatever runs well enough for me. All distros suck on my hardware. But Chakra is magical. I've not tried Arch based ones yet but would they be as fast as Chakara? I need a distro with gui installer and any package manager that has an interface. I don't care about rolling release as I'm not that experienced with linux to fix major breakages. so non-rolling will be fine also. Just I need something with such good hardware support like Chakra which is superfast because ubuntu and co don't cut it. Thanks. My hardwware is AMD 3.4Ghz x4, 4GB ram, on AMD 880G/Radeon 4250.

Beans

Re: Need help finding a distro

Paragraphs make for easier reading and people will be more inclined to read your posts. I'm not reading that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    All distros suck on my hardware.
    Just wondering: Do you have Windows on this computer? And if so, does Windows also "suck" on your hardware?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe try CinnArch: http://www.cinnarch.com/

I guess you could also install Archbang and then add whatever dekstop you want. It's getting easier to customize gnome shell via themes and extensions these days.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Just wondering: Do you have Windows on this computer? And if so, does Windows also "suck" on your hardware?
    I had windows 7 for a while and it ran perfect. But I want to use Linux! Anyone have any experience with Manjaro, is it any good? The only thing I need is actually a gui package manager.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DisappearingOak View Post
    I had windows 7 for a while and it ran perfect. But I want to use Linux! Anyone have any experience with Manjaro, is it any good? The only thing I need is actually a gui package manager.
    I use Manjaro, it's still in beta stages though. It has no GUI package manager, the one they had got dropped because it was buggy. You can always install one from AUR if you want, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php..._GUI_Frontends

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

If I was having those kinds of problems running Linux on my hardware, I'd either go to distrowatch.com, get info on a bunch more distros, and keep checking different ones out, OR start looking into some Linux-friendly hardware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    If I was having those kinds of problems running Linux on my hardware, I'd either go to distrowatch.com, get info on a bunch more distros, and keep checking different ones out, OR start looking into some Linux-friendly hardware.
    I think there's also a problem with the open source drivers on 3d environments, at least on my gfx chip. It's not an uncommon chip though, I've seen a few laptops being sold with that chip. I bought this pc to run windows because I didn't know very much about linux back then. I think next time I'll be more careful.

Ubuntu, Mint run on my computer, but there's this slight sluggishness at some places that's annoying. Fglrx is fast, but can be a little unstable at times, that's why I prefer not to use it. But I'm happy to see open source radeon run so fast with kde on Chakra, that must mean the new versions of the driver are very improved. I'm stuck on Solus's design though. It's very Windowsy in an XP-like way and I'm seeking support for the artifacts issue on their forums to see if it works out. Else, I'll try more bleeding-edge distros.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

If you hate sluggishness and if you want to use Cinnamon desktop, you can install Linux mint with Cinnamon desktop and remove unnecessary services.
    http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/114
    OpenBox: Debian Wheezy, Sid, Snowlinux, Aptosid, Siduction, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, Mint, ZorinOS, OS4, Arch, Manjaro, Mageia, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Slackware, Win XP/7
    http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast