Thread: Hardware recommendations: Masterkeyboard and Microphone for voice

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hardware recommendations: Masterkeyboard and Microphone for voice

Hi,

Could anybody please recommend a masterkeyboard with fully weighted keys?

Are there also some masterkeyboards that are able to produce some piano sounds, for example to rapidly listen to some notes without turning on the computer? If not, is there a little device I can connect to the masterkeyboard that is capable to produce sounds? Will it be possible to keep both, the computer and the device, connected to the masterkeyboard or do I have to unplug one to connect the other?

The masterkeyboard is at the moment mainly intended for a member of my family that started taking music lessons and who is talking about learning piano in the future. Thus, it would be practical if this person could rapidly turn on the masterkeyboard if she wants to listen to some notes while studying.

Moreover, could anybody also recommend a microphone to record somebody singing alto and sopran? Are there any good microphones with an USB connector, or will it be better to get a Microphone with a standard microphone connector and another device to connect it to the computer? If so, what device should I use to connect the microphone to the computer?

The microphone would be intended for another member of my family that might want to get midi files of songs; have them play on the computer, perform the singing and record everything. Will this be easily possible in Ubuntu Studio and what software should I use?

By the way, this person is taking accordion lessons for little more than one year. Would the microphone to record the voice also be suitable to record the accordion?

Please, take into account, that all members of my family are newbies in this whole matter (but I am not a newbie in linux). Thus, do not hesitate to propose better solutions in the case where what I am imagining is not the best way to go.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Beans

Re: Hardware recommendations: Masterkeyboard and Microphone for voice

Study prices on used Kurzweil and Yamaha Motif instruments,
    great sounds will be included, with nice weighted keys.

Once you know you won't get $abused$ you can try to find one nearby.

The new Casio Privia models may be cheaper, lots of people like them
    for the key action, sounds, and light overall weight for portability.

http://www.casiomusicgear.com/produc...ivia/PX-350MWE

Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks sgx for your suggestions. If I got it right, these are mainly synthesizers. When I look at the prices, I wonder whether I should not rather get a digital piano like a Kawai CA or a Clavinova...

I have no problems with also getting second hand items in areas I am able to evaluate what I get. However, as we are all newbies in making / learning music, I am rather reluctant to get something used; especially for keyboards, that I suppose to be items that get easily damaged.

Would it make sense to simply get a masterkeyboard without an internal synthesizer and some external sound generator without booting time and a good piano sound. For example, what about the M-Audio Oxygen 88, Studiologic VMK-188 Plus or similar and some piano sound generator to learn the sound of the different notes? In the music lessons, there are for example exercises, where the teacher plays something on the accoustic piano and the students have to write down the notes the teacher played.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Personaly I would go for this Kawai. You need to check if this USB sends MIDI data. If not, then you need to buy some MIDI interface, and connect with MIDI cabels.

Oxygen looks cool, but all this sliders and knobs I don't find that usefull in studio work with free software. I don't know maybe if I had one of these I would find its function. But just thinking about it, I have 30 sliders in the mixer for my song, I don't see how 8-10 sliders on master keyboard can help me with that. If someone has experience with this, please share.
    Same thing with the transport buttons, there are already keyboard shortcuts for that.
    For live performance I can understand the power of this keyboard.