Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanting to replace Ubuntu 11.04 with Xubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wanting to replace Ubuntu 11.04 with Xubuntu 12.04

I must have it set to Auto Login, as I do not enter a password... I'd like to get rid of the whole password thing, but that's a different thread...

Wanted to put in a screenshot of my settings, but can't do that here, I guess...

I have it set to login as me automatically, and Select "Xubuntu Session" as default session. My choices for default sessions are:

• Recovery Console
    • Ubuntu
    • Ubuntu Classic
    • Ubuntu (Safe Mode)
    • Xubuntu Session
    • User Defined
    • Ubuntu Classic (No effects)
    • Xfce Session

So, I was assuming that the Xubuntu Session should be what starts up, not the Ubuntu that I had before.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The upgrade instruction for Xubuntu in the first post will work only in you start with a base installation of Xubuntu . Starting with the Ubuntu , installing the Xubuntu desktop and then trying to do an upgrade to Xubuntu 12.04 won't work . As stated above the session list in the login screen has changed positions.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So, I was assuming that the Xubuntu Session should be what starts up, not the Ubuntu that I had before.
    If you started with Ubuntu you will have to change the default session for auto login via the command line. Methods vary depending version but I know it can be done.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; October 12th, 2012 at 03:39 AM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, I set my login prefs so that I had to choose a user (only one choice) and enter my pw... no place to choose anything else, but the Xubuntu screen showed up, then was replaced by my Ubuntu desktop wallpaper and icons... so, Xubuntu is running and using my prefs from Ubuntu by the look of it... Hmmm...

Guess I'll have to backup everything (not sure exactly which "everything" I need to back up) and delete Ubuntu 11.04and install Xubuntu 12.04. The difference in speed on my laptop between the two was amazing... Xubuntu boots in about half the time, loads programs quicker, Chrome doesn't hang up when I have too many things open... I tried them both from the Live CD before I went with Xubuntu...

Perhaps next week I'll have time... must finish building a ukulele and repairing a 1910's mandolin.

Thanks for all the assists!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12