Thread: unrar ERROR: Unknown option: ?

Beans

unrar ERROR: Unknown option: ?

Hi all I'm trying to unrar some files in Ubuntu 10.04/Backtrack5r2 and am getting a persistent error message.
    Example: ERROR: Unknown option: root@bt:~/Downloads/aquateens# unrar x 92 - Baffler Meal.rar
    I have tried several files using this command

unrar x 92 - Baffler Meal.rar
    I have tried the e,l,a and --extract options and a few others but still get the

ERROR: Unknown option: root@bt:~/Downloads/aquateens# unrar x 92 - Baffler Meal.rar
    Message is my command correct as unrar x 92 - Baffler Meal.rar
    When I type unrar I get the list of options but even with the applicable ones I still get error. Any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: unrar ERROR: Unknown option: ?

I don't use unrar as much as other utilities, so I might be a little off here. But, your syntax doesn't quite look right to me, especially after having a look at the man pages. I think you need to remove the '-' after '92' as the rar'd file should be passed as an option to unrar.

I'm also wondering about the '92' part. Are you intending that as the path to extract the file to, or is that supposed to be a file in the archive that you want to skip (and thus, you should use '-x' not just 'x' according to the man pages)? If you intend '92' to be the path, the 'x' option in combination with '92' is going to cause an error I think.

Maybe a quick explanation of how you want to unrar that file would be helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

92 - Baffler Meal.rar

If this is the name of the rar file you are trying to extract then I would recommend trying quotes:

unrar x "92 - Baffler Meal.rar"

It may be that unrar is parsing the the unquoted filename as parameters/options.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by r00tuuu123 View Post
    Hi all I'm trying to unrar some files in Ubuntu 10.04/Backtrack5r2 and am getting a persistent error message.
    Example: ERROR: Unknown option: root@bt:~/Downloads/aquateens# unrar x 92 - Baffler Meal.rar
    I have tried several files using this command

unrar x 92 - Baffler Meal.rar
    I have tried the e,l,a and --extract options and a few others but still get the

ERROR: Unknown option: root@bt:~/Downloads/aquateens# unrar x 92 - Baffler Meal.rar
    Message is my command correct as unrar x 92 - Baffler Meal.rar
    When I type unrar I get the list of options but even with the applicable ones I still get error. Any help?
    Linux doesn't like spaces in filenames - you need to either

a) Escape it with a slash \
    b) use Quotes.

Code:
    unrar e "92 - Baffler Meal.rar"
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Thanks Sandyd It was the quotes. Even though the way the file was posted is the real file name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

And remember to use
    Code:
    unrar e
    and not
    Code:
    unrar x