Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird crashes on startup

Beans

Thunderbird crashes on startup

Hi. Relatively new Ubuntu user.
    Thunderbird continually crashes on startup. I've heard nothing back via email from Mozilla. Have tried reinstalling to no avail. The crash report is:

Add-ons: langpack-en-GB@thunderbird.mozilla.o...enu@ubuntu.com:3.2.5,{972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:14.0
    BuildID: 20120714011110
    CrashTime: 1346028004
    EMCheckCompatibility: true
    Email:
    FramePoisonBase: 00000000f0dea000
    FramePoisonSize: 4096
    InstallTime: 1342764713
    ProductID: {3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}
    ProductName: Thunderbird
    ReleaseChannel: release
    SecondsSinceLastCrash: 12657
    StartupTime: 1346028000
    Theme: classic/1.0
    Throttleable: 1
    Vendor:
    Version: 14.0

Would appreciate some help to resolve this.
    Last edited by Bald Kea; August 27th, 2012 at 01:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Thunderbird crashes on startup

Did you install Thunderbird from the repositories, or from somewhere else? You should always use the Ubuntu repositories to install most any open-sourced application.

What do you see if you run "locate bin/thunderbird"? Do you see /usr/bin/thunderbird? If so, you can probably just run "sudo apt-get install thunderbird" to overwrite whatever you have there now. If you see something like /usr/local/bin/thunderbird, then you can also install the repository version with apt-get. However you should delete any other executables in places like /usr/local/bin so the operating system will not try and execute the wrong version.

If all that doesn't work, close Thunderbird and try this:

Code:
    $ cd ~
    $ mv .thunderbird .thunderbird.bad
    then start Thunderbird again. It should launch its mail account wizard so you can rebuild your configuration.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 27th, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks for your help

Yes, I installed TB from the repositories some months ago and everything was fine until several days ago, so we've switched to using TB on our M$ 7 laptop.

locate bin/thunderbird showed /usr/bin/thunderbird.

I tried sudo apt-get and received:

"thunderbird is already the latest version. The following packages were automatically installed and no longer required: thunderbird-locale-zh-cn thunderbird-locale-en-gb thunderbird-locale-en-us
    thunderbird-locale-zh-hans thunderbird-locale-de thunderbird-locale-en
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them. 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded."

Tried apt-get autoremove:

home@home-desktop:~$ apt-get autoremove
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

which was beyond my ken.

I've run the .thunderbird.bad and can now at least redo it. Is there any way of retrieving the emails? (not crucial)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Kea View Post
    home@home-desktop:~$ apt-get autoremove
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
    You forgot to use "sudo apt-get autoremove".

Is there any way of retrieving the emails? (not crucial)
    In .thunderbird.bad you'll see a folder with a name like "something.default". Inside that folder will be one called "Mail". If you use IMAP rather than POP, as I do, there will be an "ImapMail" folder as well. One of them will have all the mail. You should be able to copy the contents of the appropriate folder to the new .thunderbird directory.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try opening the terminal and running thunderbird from there by just typing
    Code:
    thunderbird
    When it crashes, see if there is some useful output in the terminal and paste it here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You forgot to use "sudo apt-get autoremove".

In .thunderbird.bad you'll see a folder with a name like "something.default". Inside that folder will be one called "Mail". If you use IMAP rather than POP, as I do, there will be an "ImapMail" folder as well. One of them will have all the mail. You should be able to copy the contents of the appropriate folder to the new .thunderbird directory.
    Thanks, still learning - have recently learned about using the terminal

How do I get to thunderbird.bad ?
    Last edited by Bald Kea; August 28th, 2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: missed word in post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Idefix82 View Post
    Try opening the terminal and running thunderbird from there by just typing
    Code:
    thunderbird
    When it crashes, see if there is some useful output in the terminal and paste it here.
    Thanks, but I'm getting the thunderbird set-up now

Beans
    Distro

How do I get to thunderbird.bad ?
    If you followed my earlier advice, you have two options:

1) In the terminal, simply use the command "cd .thunderbird.bad" to "change directory".

2) In a graphical file manager like nautilus or dolphin, navigate to your home directory. You then have to enable the manager to show "hidden files," which are any files that begin with a dot in their names. You should then see ".thunderbird.bad" appear in the list of files and directories.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    If you followed my earlier advice, you have two options:

1) In the terminal, simply use the command "cd .thunderbird.bad" to "change directory".

2) In a graphical file manager like nautilus or dolphin, navigate to your home directory. You then have to enable the manager to show "hidden files," which are any files that begin with a dot in their names. You should then see ".thunderbird.bad" appear in the list of files and directories.
    Cheers for that. Will download a graphical manager and get back once sorted

Beans

Ok, sorry for time taken to get back. Got a friend to help and it turns out that the crashing was on account of having too many emails. We are running 4 accounts and 3 of them had several hundred emails each. I was able to copy the inbox folders over (installed Dolphin), which was a little tricky as the email folders in TB.bad were named only as pop Nil, 1, 2, 3 and didn't correspond to the order I'd created them in the new TB. When I copied all 4 across to the appropriate folders TB crashed again. So I'm now going through each account at a time to delete the old emails Thanks very much for your assistance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast