Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Beans

Re: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

I do not have Paypal but would send Canonical a money order if I could. Please make payment options easier to support the cause.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am happy to see this. I don't have any skills to contribute to FLOSS, though Ubuntu has made Linux easy enough, even for me to use.

I'll be sending along cash on my next install. Heck, I would pay $16.00 biannually, for the continued support of Ubuntu Forums and y'all, alone. Seems miniscule, for what Ubuntu means to me.

I do hope there becomes more options for donations, rather than only PayPal, for the people not wanting to use that service. As revenue comes in through PayPal, maybe Canonical will consider other means of contributing, too.

I didn't read through the thread so maybe, my comments are only echoing others' sentiments ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Ubuntu is BOTH a non-profit and for profit, as an example 100% of those who visit here benefit from the non profit.
    Right. It wasn't entirely clear to me whether furtom understood this or not, though I thought that he did. He just wants donations to go to the non-profit arm, AFAICT.

For myself, I think he probably already has that option (just slide the "Tip to Canonical" slider down to $0 and donate to the other causes), and, even if not, I don't really have an issue with even the for-profit side of Ubuntu saying "pay what you think it's worth" -- that doesn't really strike me as a donation, so much as a payment for product, analogous to things like the Humble Bundle (where you also give some money to for-profit ventures, with the option of giving nothing). I can't find a problem with the Humble Bundle, so I have a hard time finding a problem with this. So, I think I ultimately agree with you (KiwiNZ) about this. furtom's thoughts about donating to a for-profit enterprise seemed interesting, though.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    My point for the $50 is in order to clear confusion maybe ubuntu should no longer be free then there is no confusion. But that wont stop the inevitable protests at a change made by ubuntu.
    Fair enough, though that's a pretty drastic way of clearing up the confusion!
    Last edited by jrog; October 15th, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    I do not have Paypal but would send Canonical a money order if I could. Please make payment options easier to support the cause.
    I'm assuming you missed this post. You can use a credit card or debit card. I don't know of a way to submit a money order via a a form on a web page.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    ... I don't know of a way to submit a money order via a a form on a web page.
    I don't think anyone wanted to do that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I don't think anyone wanted to do that.
    Well, it's easy enough to send a letter to Canonical, they've provided their address here. I found that by looking at the Ubuntu.com site and looking for a "Contact Us" link, which is fairly standard on commercial sites.

It is fairly obvious how to send a money order through the mail once you have an actual address. Moreover, it's already been mentioned in this thread that you don't have to have a PayPal account to use the "contribute" page. As such, when someone writes as follows:
    Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    ... it appears that the person believes there should be some mechanism to submit the money order through the web page. I acknowledge that 99.9999999% of internet users know that's impossible, but I guess there's at least some chance that sammiev has never actually purchased anything through a web site.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jrog View Post
    Right. It wasn't entirely clear to me whether furtom understood this or not, though I thought that he did. He just wants donations to go to the non-profit arm, AFAICT.
    You are right. I don't clearly understand this. If there are entities set up as not-for profit, it's fine for them to solicit donations.

This Website has been brought up a few times. Who owns it? It seems there may be paid staff. What entity pays them?

My understanding is that the Ubuntu Foundation is non-profit, but that it is currently inactive. It exists as a sort of rainy day fund in the event Canonical can no longer support Ubuntu development.

That decision was made for some reason. I'm not sure why, but nevertheless, Canonical, not the Ubuntu Foundation, is the operative entity here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as "what it's worth," any linux distribution is much more complete and feature rich than bare windows, for example, so $50 would be a bargain.

However, it doesn't work like that and is also not really the point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by furtom View Post

This Website has been brought up a few times. Who owns it? It seems there may be paid staff. What entity pays them?
    We get paid £1 for each spam post we put on the forums by whichever company the spam is for, and Canonical pays us £2 for each spam post we remove.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    We get paid £1 for each spam post we put on the forums by whichever company the spam is for, and Canonical pays us £2 for each spam post we remove.

I knew that.

Now if someone manages to speed up the site loading a bit your earnings would increase.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by furtom View Post

It just doesn't make sense that a business asks for donations. It doesn't matter if it's a linux business or any other.
    As noted by Jono Bacon, the idea was inspired by the Humble Bundle. Since its inception, the Humble Bundle has generated over $23M, most of which has gone to the game developers, all of whom are presumably businesses who are trying to make money.

You might argue that it makes no sense for the game developers (and now, musicians and authors) to participate in the Humble Bundle, but the fact that they continue to do so suggests that they would disagree with you.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast