Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    But aren't there levels of desperation? Wouldn't you agree that it appears that Canonical is at least more desperate than they were a couple of years ago? And if so and that trend continues, couldn't you agree that this could be a mildly desperate attempt to prevent the possibility of future layoffs? It's pretty obvious that the trend is that they feel like they need to find more ways to bring in revenue.

If they did that, people would be dropping them like crazy, and they would lose their seat as most popular distro in a flash. Some distros that come to mind that followed that kind of system were Lindows/Linspire and Mandrake/Mandriva. I don't think that worked out too well for them.
    This is what I said
    This one may raise some eyebrows.
    do not know about Lindows/Linspire , at what stage of Mandrake/Mandriva 's two products did the fee apply , and was it the paid for ,or the unpaid for ,or both.
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Mark and Canonical have sunk a lot of money into ubuntu and a considerable amount of people have benefited. It is about time some money went the other way.
    Absolutely.

Beans
    Hidden!

The only thing stopping me from donating in order to vote with my money for what I want them to work on, is the limitation of only accepting Pay Pal. If they accepted credit or debit cards; then, I would not have a problem doing so.

I don't see it as Cononical asking users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth". It looks more like they want you to use money to influence what they focus on in the desktop. It is like paying for a desktop maintenance service.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; October 12th, 2012 at 01:17 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    I have no problem at all donating. I'm currently using Mint, but I recognise that this wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for Ubuntu, so when I download 12.10 I'll be chucking some cash their way, whatever I can afford.

At the end of the day, Ubuntu is massively important for me and my family, and has done so much for desktop Linux over the years. I'd like to see that continue. The best projects must survive.
    Indeed. And for me, Ubuntu was the reason I got into Linux. If it hadn't been for Ubuntu 4.10 Warty Warthog, I may never have taken the Linux plunge. Or at least not for a long while.
    Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without Music, Life Would Be A Mistake" - So, what album are you NOW PLAYING?

My Last.FM | My Original Music at Jamendo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    The only thing stopping me from donating in order to vote with my money for what I want them to work on, is the limitation of only accepting Pay Pal. If they accepted credit or debit cards; then, I would not have a problem doing so.
    You're not the first to say that. As it happens, you can, in fact, use your credit or debit card. Please see attached screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans

Smile Re: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

I no longer use Ubuntu, but I will donate.

I used it for many years, have installed it on numerous computers, and have nothing but fond feelings for it.

It is one of the best Linux distributions out there. It must live on.

I've purchased ubuntu merchandise before. This is just another way to show our support, and I think it's only fair.
    Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Well, open source providers can certainly ask for donations, that is routine.

BUT, it is a bit odd for a for-profit entity to solicit money like that.

Oh and one other thing, let's not forget most of Ubuntu is Debian and they are not-for-profit. All the work done there is voluntary. I wonder how those guys feel about a for-profit entity asking for donations for a distribution based on their work. It is true, Ubuntu has put much into it, too. No doubt about that.

Ubuntu is a great product. I hope and expect Ubuntu will turn a profit someday. That would be great. But the business model for FOSS is the community volunteers their time to create the software and people get paid for the implementation. i.e. hardware, service and labor.

That combination made linux a geeky thing. Hard to spread to the masses. Ubuntu was an attempt to change that and hope to make money in the process. Great idea. I hope it works. But the "hope to make money" part is incompatible with "donations." IMO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by furtom View Post
    Oh and one other thing, let's not forget most of Ubuntu is Debian and they are not-for-profit. All the work done there is voluntary. I wonder how those guys feel about a for-profit entity asking for donations for a distribution based on their work. It is true, Ubuntu has put much into it, too. No doubt about that.
    Feel free to donate to Debian through the Software in the Public Interest, Inc. donations page.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Canonical is a private company, there is no reason or obligation to make public it's private fiscal position.
    You think I don't know that? It's called logical reasoning.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    You're not the first to say that. As it happens, you can, in fact, use your credit or debit card. Please see attached screenshot.
    The problem is, I do not want Pay Pal processing the payment in any way.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast