Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Beans

Re: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

I have no problem at all donating. I'm currently using Mint, but I recognise that this wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for Ubuntu, so when I download 12.10 I'll be chucking some cash their way, whatever I can afford.

At the end of the day, Ubuntu is massively important for me and my family, and has done so much for desktop Linux over the years. I'd like to see that continue. The best projects must survive.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X [Oibaf]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cope57 View Post
    I will donate nothing. When I asked shipit for 400 CD's of 4.10 for my soldiers when I was in the military they declined me. I think *buntu used to be a great distribution until they started with six month release cycles,stopped shipit and started to change the direction the distribution was heading. Now it is continuing to head toward being another distribution that will come, and possibly go.
    I'm trying my best to understand this. What channels was this request made through? What verification was given that there were 400 soldiers who actually wanted Ubuntu on their computers? If the computers were government issue, what verification was given that it was OK to change the operating system? I'm not sure that the US government, for instance, would want a bunch of soldiers changing the OS on their computers, particularly when those computers may be mission-critical and there would be no one authorized to maintain them as needed.

Perhaps most importantly, which nation's military was this request made on behalf of? From Canonical's standpoint, I'd expect that there would be political, social, and possibly legal implications if they started preferentially supplying goods and services to a particular military force.

Also, when was this request made? Was it back in 2004 or early 2005, prior to the release of 5.04 (which was released 6 months after 4.10, incidentally)? Did shipit have procedures for such a large shipment back then?
    Last edited by thatguruguy; October 11th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Id really like an expansion of this connected to the community. So for instance, others could see how much you have donated towards a particular goal. And also give you a better idea of what the community would like focus on. Also more detailed and wider goal selections. I don't know why this hasn't always been available.

If you cant code, but you want a feature, you could buy attention towards it. Perfect i my case, where as i can barely figure out how to bug-report properly. And can still contribute.

OT, A video guide for alpha-beta testers how to properly use launchpad and reporting bugs. If there is one already please link.
    Last edited by rhozac; October 11th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    True,... so one has to make an assumption about Canonical's balance sheet to label this as desperation, because the act itself is not any indication of the state of affairs. When I start seeing things like layoffs and hiring freezes I will start to worry. When I see Canonical asking for money from Microsoft to stay afloat (like Apple once needed) then I will worry. I will not make an assumption about the finances based on allowing users to contribute in a way that allows them to choose what they want to support.
    But aren't there levels of desperation? Wouldn't you agree that it appears that Canonical is at least more desperate than they were a couple of years ago? And if so and that trend continues, couldn't you agree that this could be a mildly desperate attempt to prevent the possibility of future layoffs? It's pretty obvious that the trend is that they feel like they need to find more ways to bring in revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by alexfish View Post
    A yearly or 6 monthly fee for support + security and updates could = a lot of revenue , yet not hurt pocket , could also be scaled depending on local.

20M * 1 = 20m : 5 = 100M and so on

I for one would prefer this option instead of putting into a begging bowl , although not a bad option if there no other means. but not a professional one .
    If they did that, people would be dropping them like crazy, and they would lose their seat as most popular distro in a flash. Some distros that come to mind that followed that kind of system were Lindows/Linspire and Mandrake/Mandriva. I don't think that worked out too well for them.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

It's probably worth mentioning that Canonical is a for-profit entity and donations to them are not tax deductible.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    I know this because they have not told us that they are profitable. This is extremely obvious. Imagine if Canonical was profitable. Would they tell us?

Yes.

Of course.

The whole point of Canonical is to show that the Linux Desktop is a market worth targeting. If there was a single instant that Canonical is nearing profitability, then you can be absolutely sure they would tell us and there would be a lot of fanfare.. In fact, if there were reasonable projections that they'd be profitable within a year, then we would know.

Since that hasn't happened yet, I know that Canonical is nowhere near profitable yet.

Companies spending lots of money they may or may not have chasing profitability is extremely normal. So no, it is not "regardless of whether or not someone keeps pumping liquidity". The fact that they can reliably get money means that they will continue to spend money expanding their business. Companies go bankrupt when they are unprofitable and nobody is willing to lend them any money.

Canonical is a private company, there is no reason or obligation to make public it's private fiscal position.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    It's probably worth mentioning that Canonical is a for-profit entity and donations to them are not tax deductible.
    but donating is a way of paying for product being used and probably saving the user a lot of money.
    or is it alway take and give only with a return?
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So where is the link to donate? I can't find it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sanderella View Post
    So where is the link to donate? I can't find it.
    Only appears when you go to download the ISO.

The link to the 32-bit version of Ubuntu desktop showed as up:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...se=lts&bits=32
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you, Charles, done.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast