Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Canonical asks desktop users to "pay what you think Ubuntu is worth"

I thought Ubuntu/ Canonical was already making money from their business tech support, and more and more businesses are leaning toward ubuntu and linux.

I left Red Hat when they started being a paid OS.
    People often chose ubuntu over windows when I gave / sold second-hand computers because ubuntu was free.

I personally am fine with donating, but I like donating when I want.
    I'm happy that this is optional. And will most likely donate.

However if it ever becomes an obligation, I'm out.
    Last edited by Lightstar; October 14th, 2012 at 06:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Can Canonical/Ubuntu do nothing without people getting their nickers in a twist?! Donate if you want to, if not don't...

The value you have gotten from Ubuntu is much greater than the money I have spent on other OS's and I am glad for another way to be able to contribute.

My experience since 2004, no they can't.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I WILL be donating some cash in the future... Broke right now, which is the continual state of someone with two kids, lol...

I think this is a great idea, and I hope people get on the bandwagon with whatever they can afford. The 'Buntus are great products and definitely are deserving of some appreciation in paper form.

Beans

Its funny that Canonical asks for money in order to "better support" Ubuntu flavours, cause it currently doesnt support them at all.
    0*better is still 0...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    I'm probably stupid but how does that donation page work. If I e.g. fill in $10 for 'performance optimisation', do I reward them for what they have done in this area up till now (that's actually what the title implies) or is that where they are going to invest the money in R&D?
    You're not rewarding them. You're donating to invest in the development of whatever project you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by dolby View Post
    Its funny that Canonical asks for money in order to "better support" Ubuntu flavours, cause it currently doesnt support them at all.
    0*better is still 0...
    That's kind of what I thought, too. But if the money really goes to those projects, that's cool. I just wish you could choose which derivative your money goes to, instead of one box for all of them. I guess if you really cared, you would just donate directly to that derivative.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Probably would donate the price of the CD which is £4.71 from the store.

Hardly a massive amount really when a 1 use windows 7 disc is like £100

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmag+c View Post
    Hardly a massive amount really when a 1 use windows 7 disc is like £100
    You aren't paying for the disc, you are paying for the key.

Little different.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sableyes View Post
    Hmmm, Ubuntu are not allowed too make money. Ever. Someone will always seem too get knickers in a twist over it. Sillyness.

I wonder how many other distros are helped by sponsorships and donations? A quick look and both distros above Ubuntu on DistroWatch are Mageia and Mint, both take donations. Doesn't seem to effect their popularity... ^^
    Speaking for myself, my knickers are pretty straight.

My objections really have nothing to do with whether or not Canonical makes money. I'd love it if they can make a business plan work that makes a profit. That would only be good for linux.

It simply doesn't add up to me that a for-profit entity is asking for donations. Maybe I'm wrong, but so far, reading this thread, I'm not convinced.

Other distros are community based efforts and not-for-profit. Therefore, soliciting for donations is entirely appropriate for them.

The day Canonical becomes non profit and exists solely for the maintenance and propagation of Ubuntu, I'd love to donate. Until then, I think donated dollars are more appropriately given upstream to people and groups who are non profit.

Hey, I like those Ubuntu hats! I have no problem with Canonical selling stuff, offering services for hire, partnering with hardware developers, and in general trying to make money. In fact, I'm rooting for them.

If Ubuntu's development were segregated out to the non-profit foundation, that would be a completely different thing. As yet, I don't think that's how it goes, however. As I understand it, the foundation exists to continue ubuntu development if Canonical goes under. Sort of like a "rainy day fund."

To me this is all very simple and logical. I have no problem if anyone disagrees with me, but I"m surprised at the near hostility of some of the comments. (That remark is not necessarily directed at Sableyes quoted above.

It is silly that I have to say this, but no one should take my stance or comments as my being "against" Ubuntu, Canonical, M. Shuttleworth, etc. Can't someone dissent without having an agenda?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by furtom View Post
    Speaking for myself, my knickers are pretty straight.

My objections really have nothing to do with whether or not Canonical makes money. I'd love it if they can make a business plan work that makes a profit. That would only be good for linux.

It simply doesn't add up to me that a for-profit entity is asking for donations. Maybe I'm wrong, but so far, reading this thread, I'm not convinced.

Other distros are community based efforts and not-for-profit. Therefore, soliciting for donations is entirely appropriate for them.

The day Canonical becomes non profit and exists solely for the maintenance and propagation of Ubuntu, I'd love to donate. Until then, I think donated dollars are more appropriately given upstream to people and groups who are non profit.

Hey, I like those Ubuntu hats! I have no problem with Canonical selling stuff, offering services for hire, partnering with hardware developers, and in general trying to make money. In fact, I'm rooting for them.

If Ubuntu's development were segregated out to the non-profit foundation, that would be a completely different thing. As yet, I don't think that's how it goes, however. As I understand it, the foundation exists to continue ubuntu development if Canonical goes under. Sort of like a "rainy day fund."

To me this is all very simple and logical. I have no problem if anyone disagrees with me, but I"m surprised at the near hostility of some of the comments. (That remark is not necessarily directed at Sableyes quoted above.

It is silly that I have to say this, but no one should take my stance or comments as my being "against" Ubuntu, Canonical, M. Shuttleworth, etc. Can't someone dissent without having an agenda?
    Ever thought how things like the servers for this Forum and other community access points etc are funded?

Ever thought of how the Developer Conferences are funded?

Are you saying that Mark should be the only one paying for these?
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Ever thought how things like the servers for this Forum and other community access points etc are funded?

Ever thought of how the Developer Conferences are funded?

Are you saying that Mark should be the only one paying for these?
    I think it's pretty clear that he's (or she's?) not saying the last thing; he was talking about Canonical, not Mark.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast