Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing Useful Information

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Storing Useful Information

A couple years ago I stumbled across Microsoft OneNote, which is probably the best utility for this kind of thing that I've ever come across. Since moving to Linux at home, though, I've had a hard time matching it. You could try Kbasket, which is the closest I could find. I've not extensively tested it, but it seems like it's up to the task. I only mention OneNote specifically for something to use as a search query for Linux equivalents since I haven't looked around for these in a while.

At any rate, it's a virtual scrapbook. It's completely searchable, and you don't have to worry about formatting and such (unless you really want to!). It's integrated into the shell and you can just take screen grabs, paste them in, copy text right in, move hyperlinks right in - basically anything you want to keep record of, can easily be written in there.

At work, I've found this software absolutely indispensable!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've just started using tiddlywiki.

It has a quick and easy to learn syntax, I tried moin moin one time, but the syntax didn't work easily for me with tiddlywiki I can write almost a quickly as I do in word or a text editor. Also you can use HTML markup if required.

You can have a single start page and a separate page for each different subject if you require. Just be sure to keep all the wiki pages in the same directory as the tiddlysaver.jar file so as you can edit them and save them to the file system.

If you use firefox for you main browser you will also need the tiddlyfox addon as by default firefox won't allow you to access the fielsystem for security reasons.
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I use Gedit - one file per topic with the filenames consisting of keywords. Really easy to search straight from the Dash.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I use zim on a server with a launcher on each machine to bring it up. That way any useful commands or scripts are available on each machine.

Code:
    ssh -2 -Y username@server zim
    I use evernote for any notes that I want available on the road or on my phone.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My preferred program for this sort of thing is Zim. A personal wiki. It is in the repos. I hadn't thought of tgalati4's idea of running a Zim on a server.
    Last edited by alphacrucis2; February 1st, 2013 at 11:09 AM.

Beans

I also simply use text files for my notes, making them easy to access with any text editor on any OS, as well as GNote for a scratchpad. I backup regularly to a flash drive so I'm able to access them anywhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use Tomboy and sync notes to Ubuntu One.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12