Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 - cheese aborts

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

12.04 - cheese how do I set default video device before cheese starts?

Is there some sort of configuration file or process for cheese? I have a Logitech C310 or some such thing, and when I start cheese it aborts. It seems to work with Skype ok. I ran it in a terminal and got some warnings and then an error about the camera not being defined or some such thing.

Forgot to include the info from the screen in case it helps:

Code:
    dave@dave-desktop:~$ cheese

(cheese:2398): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:2398): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:2398): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:2398): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkGrid to a GtkToggleButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkToggleButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

(cheese:2398): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkImage to a GtkButton, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkButton can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type GtkLabel

** (cheese:2398): CRITICAL **: cheese_camera_device_get_uuid: assertion `CHEESE_IS_CAMERA_DEVICE (device)' failed
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    dave@dave-desktop:~$
    Last edited by squakie; October 11th, 2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Changed title to reflect what the problem appears to be

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 12.04 - cheese aborts

I think I may know what the problem is, but I don't have a clue what to do. Following another post on the internet, I installed guvcview. It came up with an error box about device is not a camera - that's when I found out it's defaulting to Huagepuage (sp?) video capture card that is in the PC but I don't know how to use. I had to change the device to the only USB device that showed.

Do I need to do something to set the default device for cheese?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In the online documentation I could find for cheese, it says it uses gstreamer as a back-end. It also described running gstreamer-properties to configure which device is used for video input. Indeed, it was set on the Haugepauge card, so I changed it to the device UVC Camera (04f6:0819) and clicked "test" and it worked. I then exited and tried cheese again and got the same error. I can't find a cheese parameters or configuration file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you go to Edit>Preferences in Cheese, does it list both of your video inputs under Device?
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Just a tip that has nothing to do with the problem.

When you post stuff like this

use the button at the top of the post window that is marked # and put the output between the code tags that appear. Then, it will appear in a box that has a scroll bar if the output is long, and it will be posted as the literal text without some of it being mistakenly interpreted as a smiley.

Code:

Last edited by audiomick; October 10th, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Will do - thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bump since my last request for help. I really need to find out how to set the default video device for cheese prior to loading it. As shown in my post at the beginning, cheese aborts so I can't even get to any kind of configuration screen with it. I assume that means I have to set the default video device prior to running it. I changed the default in gstreamer-properties, but it makes no difference for cheese. What is happening is that it is picking my Haugepauge video capture card and I can't find a way to change the default to my web cam.

If no config file, does anyone know if there is some sort of rule I need to put in the udev rules for the web cam (also to perhaps tell the system to execute some script when the web cam is detected.

If it makes any kind of difference, the web cam doesn't "turn on" for lack of a better way of saying it until a program accesses it - then the light on the web cam shows its in use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Removed
    Last edited by newb85; October 11th, 2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: I need to learn to read...
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, I guess I'll just have to settle with guvcview - I don't know if it does the same/everything as cheese does - I've just seen cheese mentioned as "the" things to install with a web camera.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unless there is some need to do so, I'm not marking this thread as solved, since I don't have a solution yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast