Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirror RAID USB drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Mirror RAID USB drive?

I googled around and couldn't find a product like this. Any idea if it exists?

What I basically want is a thumb drive that when I write a file to it, it has two chips inside of it. When you write a file to it, it writes it to two separate memory chips inside, so if one fails, it can start flashing red and you have time to backup your files from the other one.

Even better would be a time delay using a program like Rsync...so if there's a change to a file on the primary chip, it knows and automatically updates the file on a set interval of say 15 minutes.

I live in perpetual fear of thumb drive failure as I store work projects on it that often take weeks or months. I make backups, but still am not very comfortable.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Mirror RAID USB drive?

If you buy a good flash drive, like one from Sony, then you shouldn't need to feel paranoia about them failing unexpectedly. I've had my Sony for five years or so. It's been through a lot.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    If you buy a good flash drive, like one from Sony, then you shouldn't need to feel paranoia about them failing unexpectedly. I've had my Sony for five years or so. It's been through a lot.
    It will fail eventually. No solid state drive will last forever, especially if you use them as I do, making many writes and reads to them over the course of usage.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Even if a thumb drive like that existed, RAID is not a substitute for backups.

In short, back your stuff up.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Even if a thumb drive like that existed, RAID is not a substitute for backups.

In short, back your stuff up.
    I backup at least once a day.

However, No backup's going to perfectly up to date, so I'd still be losing data.

In short, backing up is not a subsitute for raid. :-p
    Desktop
    Laptop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I do backups once a day, and unless you need something that is super portable, you might want to look into one of those NAS boxes, that can handle RAID for you.

Personally, I haven't had a flash drive "just stop working" yet, and I've used a few for a long while - I've got an 8GB one that is probably 4 or 5 years old with constant reads/writes and it is still going strong.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Need something like this.
    Sadly, at the moment, it's just an idea. But I'm sure if it comes, it could be setup to mirror image the cards.

more info: http://www.yankodesign.com/2011/04/1...nation-memory/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Then what would be wrong with two flash drives or two memory cards and use rsync on a 15 minute cycle to update?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Then what would be wrong with two flash drives or two memory cards and use rsync on a 15 minute cycle to update?
    You got a point there. Beside taking two slots instead of one, I think the result would be just as good. And they could be stored in two places, in case of fire or theft.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Warpnow View Post
    It will fail eventually. No solid state drive will last forever, especially if you use them as I do, making many writes and reads to them over the course of usage.
    You've had a SSD fail on you? My Sony has hosted an Ubuntu installation used intensively and daily for over a year.

I've seen a Sony flash drives reach 3 million writes before turning read only.
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast