Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Hardware & Laptop to work with Ubuntu

Beans

Best Hardware & Laptop to work with Ubuntu

I have a laptop which works very well with windows 7. It has 4GB memeory and 650 GB Hard disk drive. It is Intel-based with core i7. I downloaded Ubuntu but every time I run ubuntu my laptop gets hot , slow and it is suddenly switched off interrupting my work. I do not know what is the exact problem but I thought the problem with the hardware. It might be not suitable for Ubuntu. I will buy another Laptop but I want to choose a good laptop that proved by experiments to be suitable to Ubuntu. I am here to ask for advice, recommend and your experience. Which Laptop, or desktop pc do you use? Have you ever faced the same problem I am facing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Best Hardware &Laptop to work with Ubuntu

Welcome to the forums and the world of freedom! I applaud your determination, which will serve you well.

Your options will be limited by your price range and (somewhat) by where you live.

I don't know that it's the "best", but I've been running Ubuntu (nearly exclusively) on a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5265 for about a year now, and the hardware performance has been great. There are three things that don't work in Ubuntu, and I think they're all ACPI-related:
    1. The backlit keyboard - this was a bit of a disappointment.
    2. Toshiba's eco-mode button - Doesn't really bother me.
    3. USB powered-while-off - haven't really wanted to use it. I've heard testimonials that this mode causes battery drain issues when used with Windows.

Graphics, wireless, sound, and HDMI all worked beautifully out-of-box, with no additional drivers needed. The machine doesn't get any warmer than I would expect (unlike my last machine, which could have boiled water on the GPU).
    Last edited by newb85; October 10th, 2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Noticed something
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You may have noticed that in Ubuntu Forums there is a forum named System76 Support. It is located in The Ubuntu Forum Community>Ubuntu Specialized Support>System76 Support.

System76 only sells computers with Ubuntu installed and supports their computers and Ubuntu under warranty. I own a System76 and everything works well for me.

You can browse System76's offerings at: https://www.system76.com/
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I use a HP g72t it has 500GB hard drive and 4 GB RAM. It works great with Ubuntu except I had to edit a line in grub to make the screen not dim at boot. Also cheap. It is similar to this newer one
    http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-of...D0&PageSize=15

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Working from a Asus G73jh-A1 i believe XD still works flawlessly

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

what is the GPU in the laptop you have, you may need a proprietary driver to get the energy efficiency under control
    in the case of my laptop it needed a kernel update (10.04 ran 10C hotter)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Thanks all for the replys

Actually the GPU on my laptop is Intel(R) HD Graphics Family.
    I will look at system 76. However, I do not understand some details about these laptop such as

Memory: 204 pin Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
    Storage: 2.5" 9mm Removable SATA II/III

I could not find information about Hard disk drive or memory capacity on their web page
    https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/gazp7

The Laptop I need should have at least 500 GB Hard Disk drive cause I am dealing with huge files.

Thanks again all for your suggestions and sharing your experiences
    Last edited by ZahrahLand; October 11th, 2012 at 01:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ZahrahLand View Post
    I have a laptop which works very well with windows 7. It has 4GB memeory and 650 GB Hard disk drive. It is Intel-based with core i7. I downloaded Ubuntu but every time I run ubuntu my laptop gets hot , slow and it is suddenly switched off interrupting my work. I do not know what is the exact problem but I thought the problem with the hardware. It might be not suitable for Ubuntu. I will buy another Laptop but I want to choose a good laptop that proved by experiments to be suitable to Ubuntu. I am here to ask for advice, recommend and your experience. Which Laptop, or desktop pc do you use? Have you ever faced the same problem I am facing now?
    Personally, I use ThinkPads, and Lenovo is very Linux friendly. But, they're not the only suppliers of certified for Ubuntu hardware, take a look here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; October 11th, 2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: fixed link

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ZahrahLand View Post
    Thanks all for the replys

Actually the GPU on my laptop is Intel(R) HD Graphics Family.
    I will look at system 76. However, I do not understand some details about these laptop such as

Memory: 204 pin Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
    Storage: 2.5" 9mm Removable SATA II/III

I could not find information about Hard disk drive or memory capacity on their web page
    https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/gazp7

The Laptop I need should have at least 500 GB Hard Disk drive cause I am dealing with huge files.

Thanks again all for your suggestions and sharing your experiences
    In the upper-right corner of the page you refer to https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/gazp7, there is a button lableld "Configure & Buy". Click on that button to see all of the memory and hard drive choices available to you.

Don't worry, clicking that button does not obligate you to buy anything. They wouldn't ship you anything without asking for some way for you to pay for it, would they? These guys are a reputable company.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

Re: Best Hardware & Laptop to work with Ubuntu

I'm currently using Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2 on an Advent 4213 Netbook and everything works fine, unfortunately there is no display for Caps Lock Num Lock and Scroll Lock and the Fan Control doesn't work and stays on all the time unlike when using Windows where it switches off when running on Battery.

I'm also going to try it on my Toshiba Satellite C660 once I've backed up all my data, and will report back.

Roland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast